This is a question to anyone. Before I take the plunge, does anyone

have any comments regarding quality or things, good or bad that may

have happened with their AlienBees. I've heard great things about

them but I just want to make sure before I invest, I have very

limited resources. Thanks!

I have been very happy using a B800 with a large photoflex softbox for portrait

work. The Alien Bees are great lights at a great price. I understand that they

also offer great customer service but I've never had a problem so I can't speak

to that. If you're on a limited budget, you can't go wrong.

I have a few 800's and one 1600. I rarely use full power on the 800s for one or two subject

portraiture even when shooting through a medium size soft box and-or umbrellas. The

problem I sometimes find is that when I use the lights at only 1/4 power or less the

color temperature between shots changes. One pop may be a few hundred Kelvin off from

the

first shot and can be noticeable. My usual shooting distance is at least 4-6 feet from

subject.

However, if you have the room you can move them back and crank up the power the Bees

are fine and have been reliable.

I too am in the same boat looking for lights. I have limited resources as well (roughly max of about $600-$700.) I keep seeing Alienbees and so I've looked at their site.

The kit I am looking at is the "Digibee" at $599.

http://alienbees.com/digi.html

My question is: Is it worth it to upgrade the B400's to 800's for an addition $110? I want to do children portraits in a home studio.

Additionally, do I need a softbox right away for that kind of shooting?

The Bees are very robust. I use them along with/ instead of White Lightnings, and the have held up well. I own the WLs because I heard they were more robust for daily shooting, but both are well made products by Paul Buff (sp?). Check the features for both, there are differences, dependent on your specific needs.

Look, Bees are cheap and for a reason. I've used them, but never owned any. Bees have color consistency issues accross power levels which may never be a problem for you, but it's there. If you're buying new, Bees are a great value, but there are better used deals you can find with some leg work and research. These deals come with more risk, but more reward (funny how that's always the case). I found a 5000ws Balcar system (pack, 2 lights, accesories, and a "parts pack") for the same price as a B1600. And those are actual wattseconds, not "rated wattseconds". Then there are differences between monolight systems and pack-n-head systems. You'll never find an AlienBee ringlight or a focusing spot. I'd say this. Go with the Bees and get your foot in the door, but try to outgrow the system in 2-4 years. One thing I would recommend no matter what lighting system you get are Photek Softliters. They're unbrella-softboxes that fit almost every lighting system, don't require speed rings, assemble faster, can be turned into a regular umbrella or a shoot-thru. They're awesome.

If you've used any higher-priced strobes then Alien Bees could look and feel like they are made in somebody's garage. They feel very light, simple and things like a lot of plastic and basic household bulbs as modeling lights (yeah, you can't see them in marketing photos on their web site!) add to that feeling. But there is nothing really wrong with how they are made. They work fine and that's all that matters. They are just very simple and basic units. Nothin' wrong with that!

James: "Go with the Bees and get your foot in the door, but try to outgrow the system in 2-4 years."

BINGO! That's what I was thinking so it's good to hear that advice.

Pawel: considering the above, you're advice is spot on. I just need to get setup to START doing some studio shots so that i can learn, grow, and make some more dough (so that I can start the process all over with more expensive gear.)

Hey Tom!

Do you feel like you got lost in the shuffle? It was your posting afterall! But maybe everyone elses's postings helped? It certainly helped me. So, did you decide yet? You didn't answer my question as to which Bees you were considering. I'm still thinking about 2 800's as my first use will be on a group of about 34 people.....unless of course someone here steers me in another direction. Let us know what you decide and why after all the input.

Tom-- I use a couple of AB 800's to back up my main studio strobe systems, and for use as a light location pack. For what they are and what they cost, they are very good. Here are a couple of caveats and comments:

1. Note the comments on slight inconsistencies in the color temp from shot to shot. If consistent color is critical, get the White Lightnings.

2. At anything less than full power, my AB's vary by 0.3 stops from pop to pop. Other Photo.net members have found the same inconsistency. Requirements for digital cameras are tight-- exposures need to be within .3 stops or else. Again, if quality is critical, this can burn you.

3. Though some forum members say that they have pushed them much harder with no problems, P.C. Buff technicians have said that the Alien Bees should not be pushed much beyond 200 flashes per hour.

That being said, I've used them for wedding portaits, general ceiling bounce at events, and a lightweight, portable headshot kit for over a year now, and I don't know where I'd be without them.

Best regards, and happy shooting. -BC-