Nikon F body please help

manel_soria

Hi,

I've just bought a Nikon F body, 67xxx, with no photometer.

I have no experience with non-AI lenses.

Can I use an AI or an AF lens with this camera ? As I understand,

since there is no photometer the camera just ignores the maxium

aperture of the lens.

The rubber bumper for the mirror must be replaced. Are there other

rubber elements to be replaced ? Do you know if it is a good idea to

get the shutter speeds adjusted ? Is all that expensive ?

Thanks,

You can replace the foam yourself, it is easy if you can obtain the foam. There is also foam at the prism mount at the rear of the camera. Take the prism off and you can see the foam.

AI lenses should be okay, I have no knowledge of AF lenses.

You can try a test roll of film to check the shutter, or check it visually. The Nikon F is famous for continuing to work even though it is old and dry.

Here are descriptive resources for the Nikon:

www.cameraquest.com and look at the "Classic Camera Profiles" page.

http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

...Vick

An "F" body without any Photomic meter of any sort has no meter coupling. As a result, you can mount any Nikkor (F mount)lens ever made on the body without fear of damage. You would need to use an external meter. Should you add one of the original Photomic meters, you will need a Nikkor with the external silver "prong" meter coupler mounted behind the aperture indicator for f5.6. Any non-AI, AI or AIS lens will work in this condition. I am not aware of any AF lenses that have the prong, so these would need to be used with the meter in a "stop-down" mode. I have seen some AF lenses that have small dimples where the screws for a coupling prong would go, so I assume a prong could be retro-fitted.

Good luck,

Dan

Beware of varible aperature zoom lenses that change aperature as you zoom - you really never know what the actual aperature is at a given focal length. Also some of the lenses made for auto focus camera will fit and and work on the F but the focus changes some when zoomed. This is compensated for with auto focus cameras but is a pain to deal with on manual focus cameras.

You can use AI/AIS/E/AF lenses. G-type lenses will only be usable at the smallest aperture. Lenses designed for smaller coverage (both for APS film and for digital cameras) will either not mount or be of limited usefulness.

Nice camera, with a fantastic viewfinder.

In addition to the previous replies, you should be aware that some AF lenses (the "G" lenses) do not have an aperture ring so they cannot be used with your camera. You could probably mount them, but you'd have no way to set the aperture.

I got my first used Nikon F in 1962 in just has a pentaprism. Some of us used unmetered bodies before; and only use a meter prism then for slide copying and macro. Here I have about 4 nikon F bodies; non has had a CLA yet. The foam is on some; and has been gone for a decade or two or more on others. The foam just makes the body softer in noise; and helps some with a motor drive. The foam has been gone before some folks were born; that now tell me "it has to be fixed". Where does this thinking come from?

On the rubber bumper: Both my F's have deteriorated bumpers, with no problem except that they make a slightly louder clunk than the already loud clunk an F makes. If you do replace the foam, it must be very thin. If a little too thick the camera will work fine but the mirror lockup will not.

The F's back uses a sort of rope caulking rather than foam, and it seems to last forever. Don't worry about it.

I would not bother to have the shutter speeds adjusted unless you notice issues with exposure.

Thanks for your help !

So in summary:

-All the lenses with aperture ring work

-If the foams are damaged the camera is noisier, but light does not reach the film (as I thought) so it shoud work OK.

By the way, the camera has the name "PAUL J HARRINGTON" engraved on it, there is a Paul J. Harrington who was a military photographer and earned the "Military photographer of the year" award in 1974. Can this be a coincidence ? The camera is black, serial number block 67. Anybody knows the equipment used in US army about 1970-74 ?

Regards

Refoaming your camera is easy. Do a search on ebay for "The Complete Light Seal Kit" and look for "Interslice" as the seller. I have purchaced his kit several times and it is the best I've ever used. I always keep one of his kits in my camera store. We get alot of students with older camera's and it's no trick to replace the mirror foam for them.

• 1 year later...