Seagull Camera Angle Finder for Canon

ymages

The non-ECF Canon cameras have an eyepiece fitting that was just about an industry standard, and eyepiece accessories like an angle finder are often perfectly useable across brands. 'Seagull' is a name used by some Chinese manufacturers (PRC? Taiwan? don't know) and that sort of kit was in past times rather of a piece with East German and Russian made items - crude but effective. I have a Russian UOMZ theodolite that caused my friendly local surveying equipment repairer to fall around helplessly - but UOMZ are the guys that made the gunsights for all the old Soviet fighters! Same principle with Seagull. For S/H, one-fifth of the price of a comparable item from Canon sounds to be in the OK to generous range. But if it fits, it will probably work, and may well still be going strong long after your camera has died.

Sunday at the Sham Shui Po market in Hong Kong, I saw a guy trying to mount one of these on his EOS digital body. It didn't look like he was having much success ? it looked like it would not seat all of the way. I wanted to try it on my 10D, but I got tired of waiting for him to finish. I don't know if this was a typical problem, or was the issue with this one sample.

Dan, I was assuming the comparison was with the earlier Canon AF B rather than the AF C. But that reminds me that a further point to watch is L-R reversal like the even earlier Canon AF A and Waist Level Finder (so-called - I think that one was introduced in Canonflex days, certainly it was available alongside the FX and Pellix). These very primitive AFs used a mirror rather than a little roof prism at the angle. It would be important to chack the Seagull version, since a L-R reversing AF is even harder to use than the modern kind.