In and around Dubois, Wyoming Photo Spots?

ken davis

Hello friends,

Thank you in advance for your help. My wife and I are heading to Wyoming for two weeks,

for a reunion and then some photo excursions. While it might be obvious to go to

Yellowstone and Teton NPs, which we're sure to go, I'm also interested in other stops in

around the area.

What kind of photography do you ask? Well, landscape and wildlife. My wife shoots with

an XPan, and sometimes in 6x6. I shoot with Hasselblad and lenses from 40-150, 4x5,

and my Nikon kit (D70 and f100) from 20mm to 500mm.

We are staying in a family cabin outside of Dubois, mostly because of the reuinon and the

family dog is with us. We'll probably have to day trip out for most things, hopefully

getting some of the family to watch dear Daisy while we're out for a couple of days.

Anyone feel like contributing your favorite places in this area?

I really appreciate your input! Thanks!

Ken

Ken, There are NO problems finding things to shoot around Dubois. More likely, you will begin to suffer from Photo Exhaustion before your weeks are up.

The way to do it: Head North (or South), find a handy road to the left (or right), follow along a few feet until you find something that needs to be photographed. Repeat as needed. Or, you can stay near town. The red bluffs that surround Dubois are, by themselves, spectacular at both sunset and sunrise. Southwest, about 25 miles, you'll find Crowheart Butte -- all by itself on the plain. It can be fabulous in evening light. The Eastern side of the Wind River Mountains has lots of potential. So does the Western Side, but you have to go to Jackson to get there, but that's okay, because you'll find Hoback Canyon, and out onto the top of the valley of the Green River south of Bonderant before you get the west side view.

If you are flying into Jackson, plan an taking about a week just to travel along the highway (which goes through GT park) north to Moran Junction and then south to Dubois.

I'm stuck in Casper, so I can only get over there two or three times a year. Haven't come *close* to exhausting the possibilities.

One word, ranchers are sometimes a little touchy about people wandering on their lands without permission. B-L-M and Forest Service land is open, but often it's hard to tell whether it's private. If you want to shoot on a ranch, find out whom to ask. They will seldom refuse, and will often be very helpful. But, if you don't ask, they can get very irritated.

Bring lots of film and memory cards.

Regards,

Walter Hawn

Thanks, Walter! Can't wait to see it the colors, the wildlife, and meet the people. We're actually staying on a ranch, and my aunt and uncle know several families there, so I'm sure we'll be able to find some spots.

Wishing you the best,

Ken