ding darling vrs anhinga trail?

tim_d2

I am leaving for Venice Fla on Tuesday and am trying to decide if I

want to go to Anhinga Trail or any other trail in the Everglades

rather than to Ding Darling. Is this a good time of the year? I am

going to Corkscrew Swamp, are the Painted Buntings there now?

Just a comment if you decide to go to Ding Darling: if you don't find birds close at hand, go over to the "public" beaches and check out the shorebirds. When I was down there a couple years ago I wandered up and down the beaches with the camera looking for seashells, and soon discovered that several of the birds have become used to the presence of humans and allow you to get close enough for full frame shots.

It's been a while since I have been to Ding Darling or the Anhinga Trail(pre-hurricanes) so I really do not know the conditions at either location. Since you are going to be in Venice and trying to choose between the Anhinga Trail or Ding Darling, consider the difference in distance that you have to travel. The Anhinga Trail is located south of Florida City. The total additional distance is about 200 miles which is about 7 hours round trip. In order to get good light you would want to be there in the morning or evening. So consider staying overninght for it to be even worthwhile.

I've been at Anhinga Trail the past 3 weekends; it's hopping! Anhingas, cormorants and

black vultures close enough to touch (don't!). The full range of waders everywhere. Purple

gallinules, too. Lots of baby anhingas, green herons, etc. Best spot in the Park right now,

esp with Eco Pond at Flamingo closed. Lots of ospreys and crocs, there though. Paurotis

Pond is loaded with Wood Stork and Spoonbill nests across the pond. Spotting scope

territory with some in-flight shots with a VR/IS lens.