Suck Mirror - Pentax Me Super

al_lee5

I had just purchased a Pentax Me Super off of ebay before i left on

a road trip. After shooting for maybe three days, the mirror became

stuck (in the "up" position). I don't know much about slr's, but i'm

guessing it could be that the battery went out, but the meter seemed

to be working alright if I looked correctly. Any suggestions on what

to do?

I'd look at the mirror-bumper foam first. While the mirror is stuck in the up position, very gently pull down on the front edge of it with your fingernail. If the mirror pops back down, chances are that it was just stuck to the foam (see the link in the post above).

If the mirror wants to stay up, or goes back up after you pull it down slightly, the mechanism is stuck. Now try fresh batteries and see if it comes back to life. If it's still stuck now, it needs a trip to the doctor.

:)=

Hi, I have a Pentax ME, and your problem has nothing to do with the mirror, probably the second curtain got stuck! The easy way to release it is from behind, without the film, just try to gently finishing lowering the curtain with your fingers. Or, if you want to preserve the film, from the front, try lifting up the first curtain to gain access to the second, then try lowering the second. And of course, be gentle on the curtains.

See this link for more photos and explanations:

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/pentaxmeproblems.html

Hope I've helped.<div>00D465-24951784.jpg.74a170da31bdbf016caf0d9d6a1049f6.jpg</div>

Try hitting the base of the camera against the heel of your hand. This should work to drop the second curtain, and drop the mirror. As others have posted, may be time for a CLA. I have also tried using spray contact cleaner( safe for plastics) with a straw type attachment. When looking at the front of the camera, spray on the left side of the mirror. This sometimes will loosen gummed up parts. Probably won't be a permanet fix, as when it evaporates, the parts will still need cleaning.