FZ Adapter fix

I wanted to buy a Tele-converter for my FZ20. Problem was I also

~had~ to buy an adapter, and/or step rings to fit the Tele to my

FZ20. Searching the web, since Panasonic doesn't have such devices,

I ran into a dithering storm of advice. After odering the OEM Tele

and having the order cancelled, I searched about for another.

I decided on this Tele: Nikon TC-E17ED but it (actually all of them)

needs an adapter which would require a step ring and for some

telecons, at least ~two~ step rings, as best I could figure.

Decided against the Nikon and instead chose the OLY 1.7X T-CON Tele,

probably more for the $310 savings than any real measurable optical

differences, though the Nikon has proven a tiny bit superior in that

regard.

Rebelling against what seems to the extravagant and frivolous cost

of adapters, and weary of the mental gymnastics, I set the OLY T-CON

TC aside until I could work my way out of the miasma.

By easy logical deduction then, I decided since the FZ20メs OEM hood

has 72mm threads and the OLY T-CON has 55mm threads, a 72-55 step

down ring would be the most perfect solution.

Trotted off to B&H, bought a 72-55mm step-down ring, mounted the OLY

and just like that, Iメm done: problem solved. Not quite: what was I

to do with this brand new Pharee adapter I just bought?

One more ~little~ problem: the TCON has no front thread and without

a thread, no filters or hoods could be mounted to it.

What to do? To my eternal joy, I measured then realized a 77-72-step

ring would fit perfectly on the face of the T-CON. I galloped back

to B&H for another step down filter, this one a 77-72mm. I epoxied

the 77-72 step-ring to the face of the T-CON 1.7. Success! I could

now stop worrying myself about whose whatchamacallit would fit whose

thingamajig.

I am also ready to sell my brand new (mounted once to my FZ20) FZ20-

55mm Phayree adapter to whoever needs the hassle of fitting this or

that bastard adapter to another misbegotten part or ring.

The best part is I will not end up with a Hobsonメs choice of a

Ziploc bag full of adapters-step rings or equally misbegotten parts

lying around.

As I write this, Iメm waiting for the epoxy to harden thoroughly

before I venture out with my new, cobbled together 36-735mm (Image

Stabilized) super tele wearing its brand new rubber Hoya fold out

hood.

The Panasonic DMW-LT55 Teleconverter designed for the FZ30 has a 55mm thread and

will also fit the FZ20 without an adapter. Again the front is not threaded for filters or

hoods.

This is an expensive item although the price has dropped to about 35% of the list price, at

least in the UK.

Bruce

Bruce:<br><i> The Panasonic DMW-LT55 Teleconverter designed for the FZ30 has a 55mm thread and will also fit the FZ20 without an adapter. Again the front is not threaded for filters or hoods.

This is an expensive item although the price has dropped to about 35% of the list price, at least in the UK.</i><p>Yah, it's dropped to about $200 (as advertised), but "availability" is extremely spotty at that price.<p>I might be mistaken, but the DMW-LT55 was deleveloped along with and for the FZ10. It's serendipity that it fits the FZ20 and FZ30.<div>00G2eW-29413184.jpg.7497bdec7c52b6d0ef2663b0c9cf9835.jpg</div>

If you had known about www.pemarral.com you would not have had any problems. I have a lathe so organised a holder which I stuck to the 'ring' which unscrews ... but pemarral came later and is/was better [ camera given to my son ]

The FZ20 is a 62mm thread not 72mm .. perhaps a typo on your part.

With the Raynox x2.2 I found the FZ20 only permitted me to shoot at x12 zoom due to it's large front element without vignetting. The FZ30 has a smaller front element [37 vis 45mm] so I now have a small zoom range of x7 to x12 ... it was so frustrating to be 'too close' to the subject with a 950mm equivalent OIS reach :-)

The Pemarral is better than the Panasonic becuase it is designed to hold whatever filter/lens nice and close to the camera lens and comes/came in 55,58, and 62mm threads. Very good service from the guy too.

Hi Ed

Now THAT'S what I call a teleconverter!

I'm actually in the market for a wide angle converter for my FZ30 and research shows the

Panasonic DMW-LW55 to be the best available at 24mm. A couple of UK websites are

listing this, along with the LT55, as both in stock at GBP 140.00.

Was the LW55 also developed for the FZ10/20 or is it a new design?

Bruce

Front lens threads .....

I found the lenshood for my x2.2 at my local plumber's store and is a drainpipe connector. I turned down the inside diameter of one end to give a firm fit on the lens and then made a 'case' for it from another short length of drainpipe from the same store. Wooden bottom and top with web straps to buckle around my waist. Lined with foam rubber from an old photocopier machine :-)

Bruce:<i><br>Hi Ed<br>Now THAT'S what I call a teleconverter!<p>I'm actually in the market for a wide angle converter for my FZ30 and research shows the Panasonic DMW-LW55 to be the best available at 24mm.</i><p>Agreed about the OEM converter. My research shows that only the Nikon 1.7 even comes close to that big-honking OEM tele. <br>I would surmise from that that the DMW-LW55 would be as sterling a performer.<p><i>A couple of UK websites are listing this, along with the LT55, as both in stock at GBP 140.00.</i><p>Here's a thought: assuming you (we) stay with Panasonic, and remembering how much I shelled out for lenses with the same superb optical characteristics for my 35mm rigs (OUCH!), the cost of the OEM lenses is cheap. Both are said to compliment the Leica lenses, neither produces chromatic aberrations or color fringing.<br> For Teles, only the $350 Nikon 1.7 come near the $499 OEM tele. <br>I have no idea what after-market wide angle compares to the DMW-LW55, Iメd venture none and that too speaks well for the DMW-LW55. <br>I think like this: I do not know what GBP 140 pounds is in USD, but that price is in line with a fast 35mm prime which would double as a superb macro.<br>Have you tried the macro setting on your FZ30? Serendipity! Hang that DMW-LW55 on your FZ30 and Iメll venture youメll be pleasantly surprised.<p><I>Was the LW55 also developed for the FZ10/20 or is it a new design?</I><p>Yes it was. OR, they both were available when the FZ10 was new.<br>Strangely enough, many Panasonic owners, retail stores and ebay sellers donメt know that.<p> As for the GBP 140 offering youメre talking about: I donメt know. <br>There again, I only know the モnewヤ T-CON 1.7 (w/55mm threads), is a モnewヤヤ copy of the old Olympus B300(?)<p>Last night I had this very message in my WORD program ready to post and thought I had. Guess not.

Ed:

I learned from a previous post of a review by Dr Shene comparing 28mm and 24mm wide

angle converters by Nikon, Olympus, Raynox and Panasonic among others that confirmed

the LW55 as the one to go for.

I have experimented with macro on the FZ30 with varying success but that's down to my

technique more than anything. I know good results are possible so I'm working on it.

GBP 140.00 comes out as US$145.00 at today's rates. In the UK we pay roughly the

equivalent in pounds that you guys pay in dollars... nearly twice as much.

Thanks for your input.

Bruce

Bruce,

How are you doing your 'macro', not that the FZ30 is capable of doing true macro, with just the basic lens or do you use a CU lens to let you use the zoom to achieve tight framing? A 4 dioptre will get you in to a subject size comparable to what an APS camera does with a 1:1 'Macro' lens ... around 19mm across subject filling the frame. A reversed 50mm SLR lens will do a bit better, that is effectively a 20 dioptre CU lens.

JC:

I'm not using any kind of macro converter and just relying on the macro setting on the

FZ30. As you say it's not a true macro but with the lens set at 35mm and the ISO fixed at

80, my results are improving.

To my eyes the macro definition and detail achieved by this lens is amazing considering its

range. I will post some of my attempts when the standard is high enough.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Bruce but I think you are missing the point about doing big close-up photography with a pro-sumer camera. Using something like a 2 dioptre [500mm focal length] makes BCU work so much easier.

Plus forget about what you learnt about WA having more DoF than Tele ... it doesn't apply in this situation ... for a given image size DoF is near constant whatever the focal length .. so there is no advantage to working at WA. It is a heck of a lot more convienient to stand off at around 14 inches and use the zoom to get tight framing.