How to eliminate glare in PS CS2

juri_vosu1

In this image of the fly (using D200, new Nikon 105 mm macro VR lens and 2-SB

R200 flashes) I have an objectionable glare. What would be the best way to

eliminate his in Photoshop CS2? Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

in advance.<div>00HQwg-31397084.jpg.a3b92a663b7f57020f02683908994e0f.jpg</div>

Learn from your experience and choose a better background in the future. The highlights are gone! Not everything can be "fixed" in Photoshop. True, you can slap-dab a Photoshop solution. Photoshop, like skill in the darkroom, can make a good picture better, but a bad picture is bad regardless.

Try this. It's far from perfect but will help. Select the areas of glare and feather the

selections a fair bit - say 40 to 50 pixels. Then use a curves adjustment layer to fix the

problem as far as possible. by reducing highlights and adjusting contrast. This will be

trial and error a bit. Then reselect the selections on a copy of the background layer and

put a coloured gradient across the selections to approx match the colour and shading of

the surrounding area. Add some noise to try to blend the changes.

Because this shot is rather high definition/detail, it won't be easy to fix convincingly.

Its actually really easy... but a little time consuming.

The advice to choose your background better should be given to the fly, not the photographer. If I could make a grumpy off two year old with wanderlust sit next to his sister and smile everytime I wouldn't have any photoshop skill at all!

I duplicated the layer, dragged it so that the properly exposed background covered the glare area, masked it so that you could only see the area covering the glare, then lowered the opacity on the new layer to 55%. It allows for a relatively loose mask with a soft brush, but you have to do it about three times to get all of the different areas.

the 55% opacity gives the area some shine, but with a good texture too.

Or, you could clone stamp yourself a whole layer of countertop texture first and only do one mask.

• 2 years later...

I used Selective color to reduce the whiteness in the area of glare. I used the clone stamp tool. I touched up the very

white spots on the countertop. I increased the saturation to bring up the colors in the fly. In Saturation, I cranked up the

red only a bit. I framed the image using ImageFramer and added a mat and bevel, changing the size of each with sliders.

Here's the result, posted in PhotoBucket --- http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g254/Larrymo123/FlyRetouchedFramed.jpg<div>00RQFy-86423584.jpg.eebd77a263298c1ebe77cc65b9b1536b.jpg</div>

Thanks, Larry. Very kind of you. Please be aware that because this thread is more than two years old and the original poster hasn't been active on photo.net for more than a year, he may not be around to thank you personally.

BTW, I think a gold frame would go better with the fly's metallic sheen, don't you? The matte is nice but might use a touch more cyan.