job and would like to start my business to replace it (someday). I am getting

ready to invest in a new camera... I have the Rebel XT in great condition (I

have a 70-300mm lens and the standard 18-55 mm lens), I am going to use it as

my backup. I would like weddings to be my primary focus, but I would also

like to do portraits of other types (engagement, seniors, maternity). So,

here is my question. I have $5k to get started. I am looking at the Canon 5D

as my primary. I have also been told about the Alien Bees website and a

package there to get a studio going. Is it necessary for studio equipment? I

know that most people like portraits outdoors now.

I have the hard stuff done... for example, the business plan, target audience,

cash flow, etc.

Any suggestions on equipment and Lenses is appreciated :)

Thanks everyone!

Matched pair of bodies, so you can use them interchangably. I'm a Nikon shooter, so I can't give you recommendations on the Cannon line. For example two 5D or two 20D or two ?? 2 cameras with different controls could be confusing when you have to switch.

Lenses: you may need a set of FAST primes, for dark churches that don't allow flash during the cerimoney.

You don't need ABs. But they would be nice for formals, where you can set them up. Unless you have a studio or you plan to do location shots at the clients place, you don't need studio gear. My friend also does family photography at the clients home, so he does have portable studio lights that he brings with him. You can also do the location shoots with battery strobes into an umbrella.

Good pair of strobes. Here you will have varying opinions, from full manual to full TTL and everything in between. Whatever you get, you need the option to use it in full manual for situations where auto/TTL won't work. I like the Quantum Q-flash, but that is because I was brought up on flashes and separate battery packs and I like the function it gives me, but they are bulky and clumsy. There are those that swear by the Nikon SB800 or the Cannon equivalent. And there are those that use other flashes. Whatever strobe you get, make sure it has the option of using a High Voltage battery pack, like a Quantum Turbo. You may not ever need a HV battery pack, but if you decide you want/need to, then you can.

A good flash bracket. These can be expensive, and there are a dizzying variety of them with different features.

Depending on the church you may be stuck in the back of the church during the cerimony. Then you will need a good tripod that is tall enough that you don't have to bend over to use and a FAST long lens to get the shots from the back of the church.

A GOOD LOCKABLE case with wheels, to bring your gear from the car to the church/reception. And a security cable/chain to keep the case from been stolen.

Karie,

I am glad you took the time to plan. I too am a canon shooter so I can tell you skip the 5d. (I am sure others will argue) It is based on a 20d and while it does have a full frame sensor that is not so important. For the same price you can get two 30D bodies. Sell the XT on eBay or something and then spend your money on the glass. Canons tend to have difficulty with third party lenses (think error 99) so go Canon if you can afford it. Sigma if you canメt. The type glass you will need is dependant upon the product style you intend to deliver to your client. I use a 24-70mm and a 70-200mm mostly. Get a 2.8 (or faster) full range aperture. I say this because during candids, selective focus is a very commonly used technique. A consumer grade lens that ranges from ~3.5-6.3 will defeat your attempts to achieve SF.

Depending on what you mean by studio set up I suggest that you buy 3 580 ex's and a st-e2. with these you will be able to achieve almost any desired studio or flash effect.

<blockquote>

I am new to the forum... not so new to photography. I too hold a full time job and would like to start my business to replace it (someday). I am getting ready to invest in a new camera... I have the Rebel XT in great condition (I have a 70-300mm lens and the standard 18-55 mm lens), I am going to use it as my backup. I would like weddings to be my primary focus, but I would also like to do portraits of other types (engagement, seniors, maternity). So, here is my question. I have $5k to get started. I am looking at the Canon 5D as my primary. I have also been told about the Alien Bees website and a package there to get a studio going. Is it necessary for studio equipment? I know that most people like portraits outdoors now.

I have the hard stuff done... for example, the business plan, target audience, cash flow, etc.

Any suggestions on equipment and Lenses is appreciated :)

Thanks everyone!

</blockquote>

<p>

Okay, I was in your shoes four years ago. Now I have my own wedding photography business, and I employ one person, hiring another very soon. I do about 40 weddings per year.

<p>

I wasted a few thousand when I first started, buying gear that I don't use. I bought ABs, medium format, 35mm, 2 Olympus E1s, now the 20d is my main camera.

<p>

The 5D is going to take a big bite out of that $5k.

<p>

With a $5K budget, what would make much more sense to me would be to buy a 30D as your primary camera, another 20D, if you can find one new, as your second camera, and use your XT as a back up. You will need 3 cameras if you are serious about weddings, because even if you have to go to a back up, you still want a back up for that camera, too. There is just too much at stake to take a chance.

<p>

Then I would get the EF-S IS f/2.8 17-55 lens ( you can use it on all of your 1.6 crop factor cameras), and since the 50 f/1.8 is cheap enough, I would get it, and rent any other lenses that I might need ( such as the 70-200 f/2.8 IS or the 85m F/1.2 ). I like the 16-35 f/2.8 L for portraits.

<p>

I would get 2 580ex flash units, and, though I own a complete set of Alien bees ( four of them ) I rarely use them and have been using two slaved Vivitars for church portraits but now I'm using the 580ex's. I use the ABs for headshots and portraits in my home studio, but not on location so much, too much hassle though I've been tempted to get the vagabond remote battery set up for the AB for church formals, they would be better, that is certain, than the Vivitars.

<p>

There are so many paths to take, I would move forward very slowly, and cautiously, and talk to a lot of people, never taking anyone shooter's word, no matter how experienced, as gospel. $5K can go pretty quickly.

<p>

If I were in your position with only $5K, I would only get studio lighting for the studio, and so I wouldn't get it right away. To be competitive in the studio portraiture field, you will need a lot more than $5K to invest, so I would chuck the studio idea until you get more capital, and research what it takes to get a studio going, and concentrate on outdoor portraits, and weddings. The studio gear is nice to have, but you certainly don't have to have it to get started.

Vivitar slaves (with stofens) will do a reasonably good job in a church portraiture setting.

<P>

Patrick

Patrick has very good answers for you. If it were me, I'd get a 30D, one or two 580EX flashes and the 17-55mm f2.8 zoom plus the 85mm f1.8. The rest of the money to be spent on lots of memory cards, extra camera batteries, a flash bracket, if you use one, flash modifiers, a bag or belt system (or case) and a tripod and maybe a light stand and umbrella (if you get two 580EXs). Then you can see how it goes and get other things, such as off-camera flashes, triggering systems and other lenses. By then, you will know what will suit you.