What do you say when posing?

lisa_ireland

If your gonna do weddings.....you MUST know how to read people.

EXAMPLE A: If they are a laughing, joking, drinking bunch..throw out some

jokes or be sarcastic. (sarcasm comes natural for me, so I like these groups)

Don't be the formal business photographer...be an 'equal'. Entertain them a

little. Some of my best group shots are when they are not paying attention to

me, but joking with themselves.

EXAMPLE B: If they are kind of stuffy (sorry but, usually older folks) or

extremely religious, or visually uncomfortable......speak a little slower and a

little softer. Call them "Ma'am and Sir". Get a little "fluffy" with them and talk

about how special the day is and maybe add a 'cute' story or sentiment.

For the shot itself: some photographers count to 3 before pressing the shutter,

some have stupid (oh I mean silly) sayings that end in "eeeeeese". If there are

small kids, ya gotta be a little corny.

Experience story: While shooting a very "stuffy" wedding party, I asked the

bride to think of the corniest thing the groom ever said to her while dating,

hoping to get a candid reaction. The bride's mom looked at me and walked off

the alter. After about 10 minutes of me apologizing, I learned that the mom

thought I said "horniest". -hmm, who's mind was in the gutter?

Steve has the right idea. It really is about reading the group dynamic. And it can be excruciating when you've got a group of stiffs, but you'll get through it. The thing is, you need to have, not one thing that you say to get people to smile, but a whole bunch of things. One for each separate occasion.

One thing. Even when they are a loose and fun group, any making fun (other than the lightest of possible teasing) of the group is usually a bad idea. Only one person has to take you the worng way and get their feelings hurt to mess up the groove of the session.

It helps if you are naturally funny. If you're not a natural comedian, then effervescent and brilliantly cheerful works almost as well. The key is to be effervescent and brilliantly cheerful when you feel like crap.

Also, don't say "crap." Profanity, even the mildest, is a very bad idea. I'm sure you already know that it would be horribly unprofessional to use bad language, but, if you're like me (sometimes a potty mouth) it can be a chore to remember to keep it clean.

Anyway, it's a lot like acting. Find the character that you think will work for a group and stay in character the whole time.

Do what fits your personality. It never works to adopt someone's else's "patter". Your clients/subjects will sense that it is false, although humor usually works--just use your kind of humor unless it is extremely obscure. Self deprecating humor works if you're the gentle, low-voiced type, while sarcasm and sharp wit works if you're the more acerbic type. And sometimes, just saying, "Smile!" works. Also, "Cheese" if you're talking to a kid. And for formals, you can't come up with 50 different sparkling witty comments, so don't even try.

Reading your group and their personalities is certainly important. Trying to get a stuffy or stoic group to look too un-natural by laughing it up rarely works. Often for them I will just ask for a bit of a grin and it usually works...sometimes though some people will just be their not so enthusiastic self. Others that are used to smiling can usually pull it off.

One thing I have used for larger family group photos, and shots of the entire wedding party, is something I remembered the photographer doing from my own (first) wedding years ago. He would get the group placed, and then tell everyone that on the count of 3 he would say "Hi Gang" and they were to say "Hi Ray" back. It may seem goofy but it works. Unless someone is dead set against participating, everyone else is at least moving their mouths. That's as much of a gimmick as I ever use - since I'm not to fond of hamming it up....of course I do have them say "Hi Darrin" back to me....I tried "Hi Ray" on the first couple weddings and it just confused people.......!

I don't usually hang out on the Wedding Forum but this particular subject is one I've wrangled with.

I've done a lot of people photography (phormer photojournalist, some portraits and weddings), but may go months doing nothing but solo stuff - fine art landscapes, etc. So I'll lose that spark needed for interaction.

I also tend to be a bit bashful in large groups when I don't know many of the people present. Not a good trait for a wedding photographer.

So I've fallen back on a couple of standard tricks when photographing couples and groups. They're corny but they usually work and when they work they get me in the mood so all goes well from there.

One is the "fake" count. I'll pretend I'm going to shoot on "three" and then shoot on one or two. I'll switch it around and count down from three, going back and forth. Eventually even that somber uncle in the back will crack a tiny grin at the corner of his mount, if only because he's amused at the confusion.

However, to make this work I have to take more shots because this trick does tend to produce more goofy looks, askew eyes, etc. The larger the group, the harder it is to get everyone with a straight face yet also looking happy or at least relaxed.

Another is the rearrangement. This is good with teenagers and kids. Shuffle them around several times. Tell the one who refuses to smile that she's causing problems because she's getting taller right before your eyes and you can't decide whether to put her in the back row or front row. I'll ask if someone's little brother bites because the big brother keeps flinching. A couple of shuffles usually loosens up even the teens who are "too cool" to be caught dead at a wedding.

Unfortunately, I'm seldom able to photograph kids as well as they photograph each other. If it's my family or folks I know well enough I'll hand out a reasonably good spare camera to one of the older kids (at least 12 years old) to shoot the kids. They come back with some amazing expressions, tho' the photos may be askew or sometimes out of focus. The last time I did this, tho', at a July 4 beach party, some of the pix would make Christina Aguilera blush.

My other trick only comes out of the bag when I'm reasonably certain it will work. I'll do the studio photo routine from the end credits of the first "Austin Powers" movie where he's photographing Elizabeth Hurley. My accent is awful but most folks giggle when I go from "Yeh, baby, yeh, work it, give it to me" to "NO, NO, NO! It's wrong, it's all wrong! Somebody bring me a latte!" as well as the bit about photographing myself (easy with a dSLR since you have lots of shots).

Again, that last one is only suitable for certain occasions and certain crowds but when it's right it works.

Now, somebody bring me a latte. I mean it.

• 3 weeks later...