purchase the 420ex speedlite for my Digital Rebel. I have an Elan

7e, but I'm wondering how the 420 will respond to the Rebel when it

doens't have flash compensation. I know I can get a firmware hack

to combat this problem since the warranty is already expired on my

digital, but are there any more problems associated with this

combination, other than the lack of flash compensation? Thanks for

the input everyone.

Russell

The main problem is the 420EX AF assist lights are optimized for the 7 AF sensor pattern

of the Elan 7, 10D & 300D. So you'll get confused when the image snaps into focus every

time instead of hunting.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Yes, the 580EX will fix this problem, and give you a whole pile of extra features plus some more power, but is it worth paying over twice the price? It is for some people, certainly, but not for the majority of amateurs, including me and probably including the original poster.</p>

<p>Another problem is that the zoom head will zoom too wide when used with the Drebel. This isn't usually a big problem; it simply wastes some of the flash unit's light illuminating things that the lens can't see, and effectively reduces the flash unit's range somewhat. No flash unit will automatically zoom to the correct position when used with the Drebel (the 580EX has this feature but it only works with bodies newer than the Drebel). The 580EX would let you solve this problem, too, as you can manually adjust the position of its head, but again, this is a feature which is nice to have but not worth double the price.</p>

<p>AFAIK, that's the list of problems with this combination. Nothing earth-shattering.</p>

As Puppy pointed out in his backhanded way, the 420EX is the perfect fit for the 300D/DRebel. That is, as long as you install the firmware hack to gain FEC. Without FEC, any E-TTL flash on a DRebel is just looking for problems. Even with the hack, prepare to shoot, reset FEC and shoot again to get it right. Eventually you can get to be pretty good at predicting how much FEC to set before you shoot, but it's still a pain IMO. There are some Sigma flash units that will also work, but they will have similar metering problems.

The lower cost option is to get an older styled autoflash, like a Vivitar 283/285. Not as easy to set up & use, but exposures are more predictable & reliable. Sunpack's AF5000 will do this an even get you an AF assist light for your center AF point.