A4 printer recommendation please...

I would like an A4 size printer for both BW and colour work - paper

and inks to be archival quality. Is there such a beast? Epson R800?

What about HP and Canon?

A3 printers are out for now due to space considerations.

yea the R800 is good, not as good for b/w but adequate. great for color. the only advertised pigment based ink 8.5x11 sheet sized printer that I know of on the market presently.

Canon claims to have long lasting dyes, and if you did go with dye based ink then you could get some archival spray treatment for the paper. but most people will tell you to go with pigment based inks.

Although I haven't used it for B&W yet, I use an Epson R800 and am delighted with the quality of colour prints.

The richness of colour, smooth subtlety of tonal change and superb rendition of detail, even in the shadows, makes prints look wonderfully pleasing.

The extra gloss optimiser cartridge also prevents those ugly bronze looking shadows. I can highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Matt.

I use a Epson Stylus Pro 4000 which is probably a little more printer than you want. However

a suggestion on black and white printing. Convert the color space to grayscale and then back

to color. Print the image as if it were color. You will get a much better dynamic range.

seaya,

jcc