Sinaron lenses and lens boards on a F2

pete_w.

I am new to the Sinar F2 system. I hope someone can explains me when

I need a recessed leans board. At the moment I use a Sinaron S 210mm.

It is attached to a flat lens board. I am looking for a Sinaron S

150mm and a Sinaron W 90mm 5.6 to buy. Does anyone of these need to

be attached on a recessed board? And why?

Cheers, Pete

You need a recessed lensboard if you can't bring the camera standards close enough together to focus the lens. You might need a recessed lensboard if the bellows is too compressed to allow movements with the lens, though it is usually better to get a bag bellows on cameras that have interchangable bellows (like your F2).

I'm not an expert on Sinars. It is very unlikely that you would need a recessed board for a normal lens like the 150. For an initial indication with the 90 mm lens, try placing the front standard so that the lensboard is about 80 mm from the ground glass. Is this possible? Does the bellows allow movements such as front rise?

You do know that you can use other brands of lenses on your camera? All that you need is a lensboard with the correct size hole for the shutter.

Also, the Sinar-labeled lenses that you mention are relabeled Rodenstock lenses: see http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004am3

Just a quick comment.

Assuming you haven't yet acquired your lenses yet, the mid-point between a 210mm lens and a 90mm lens is (surprise) roughly a 135mm lens and not 150mm. Not that there's much difference between the two!

The progression is geometric not arithmetic, so the midpoint between two is found by multiplying the two focal lengths (210 and 90) and then taking the square root of the product.

Gerald

( http://www.suresoft.ca/homepage/gcarter.html )