Ok, I gave the camera and these lenses, what else?

christi_jones

Looks like you're all set. Now go out there and snap some few hundred shots.

Review shots, understand challenging situations if any, and only then, you will know what

type of filter you'll need (which depends on what type of subjects you like to photograph).

Any bag will do.

Enjoy!

San Zaw

Christi, you've got some most excellent lenses. Glad to see you didn't goo cheap..Congrats!

Now I think you need an external flash...I would highly suggest the Canon 580ex, or at least the cheaper 430ex. The built in flash is just so-so.

Get a flash diffuser too...there are many good ones, and they're cheap from $16 - $50. The Omni-Bounce by Sto-fen is a great deal at $16.

The one thing you're missing is a fast low light/challanging light lens. I would suggest a wide one and a normal one: Canon 28mm or 35mm, and for normal the Canon 50mm F1.4, or the F1.8 if money is scarce.

It looks like you're starting with a strong quality foundation.

Christi! Where's your 50 mm prime? I'm sure you did get it but forgot to mention it in your post.

All kidding aside, the bag is a very personal thing. Depends on how you travel and what you like to carry with you.

I have a small bag that can fit camera with lens, flash and another lens. It's OK, but I'd like something bigger. I also have a backpack that can fit all my gear. I have used it, but usually don't bring it along unless photography is the main purpose of my trip.

You'll have to decide what you want to carry, when and how before considering the style of bag you need.

Do bring your equipment to the store when you get your bag!

Ignacio

Christi,

I had the same equipment as you, except that I had the 20D, with the 17-40 being my main lens and the 70-200 for telephoto shoots. I just bought a Lowepro SlingShot 200AW and it fit my camera with 17-40 attached plus the 70-200, 50 1.8 and a flash plus other small acc nicely. The really good thing about this bag is that you can swing/pull the bag in front of you and unzip a top flap and you have your camera in your hands in seconds. It is very light and unconspicious plus it has an all weather wrap on to protect your equipment from rain. Its cheap too! But again, it really depends on how much gear you intend to carry at any one time. You can go the the Lowepro site to view their complete selection and better still visit some of the camera shops to check out other selections as well. Be sure to bring your gears to try out if a particular bag fits all of them in nicely. Have fun!

Tim

Hello Christi,

I think that what you need next, is the 50/f1.8 and to fill a lot of disk space with photos.

You may also need either Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

The most important thing is to have fun.

P

Other than a spare battery and some sort of bag you don't NEED anything now.

Slow down and live with your new system for a few months and besides getting to know your camera get to know Photoshop. Then evaluate your needs with respect to flash, lenses, filters, printer etc.

Maybe one more thing. A really good reference book on photography, unless you have one already. Mine was not far from my side table for the first 10 years I was taking pictures. I loaned it to my nephew and it now resides on his shelf so I will have to retrieve it at some point.

Here is a link to eBay for the one I used. It would still be very relevant today but you could see if he has a new one out. John Hedgecoe is the author, title was The Photographer's Handbook , 1977.

Hmmm, that makes me feel old!

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-PHOTOGRAPHERS-HANKBOOK-John-Hedgecoe-1977_W0QQitemZ4627796679QQcategoryZ378QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Excellent equipment, now enjoy!

Unlike most people, I don't think you need a 50mm. I have one and it sees use very rarely. If you want a portrait lens you already have one and there aren't many lowlight situations you can't solve with what you already have. I think you need spare batteries and copy of at least PS Elements more than you need a 50. You also need an on camera flash way more than you need a 50.

Rick H.

Rick, she does not have a portrait lens yet. A good portrait lens provides no slower then F2, and effectively 85mm for headshots...the 30D is a 1.6 crop so 1.6 x 50mm = 80mm which is darn close to 85mm, the CLASSIC headshot lens. What about available light, dramatic light portraits? Since the advent of the 35mm format by Leica in the 20's and 30's photographers have made the 85mm lens the de facto headshot choice, so your comments are most peculariar at best. Body shots are best with 50mm, or on a 1.6 crop camera, a 35mm prime, again no slower then F2. Her current kit will not give her the best bokeh either.

And what about low light shots? Available light indoor shots? One cannot always use flash. Often venues such as artsy places and museums forbid flash. Her current kit will not help her. Boosting up the ISO is not advised, as that will boost noise, even for the low noise 30D.

It seems to me that her kit cries out for a fast wide-angle and a fast normal lens which will get her the highest quality shots that her current kit will not allow her to get.

Interesting Andre - I bought one for my Elan 7N 'cause everyone said it was such a deal - but I rarely use it. I use my 28-105 the most. However I just got a 20D - and I am starting to do some more portraits, so I may use it more for this purpose (and on this new camera).

<p><i>My 50 1.8 is by far the most used lens on my rebel XT. My only regret when I started using it was that I didn't buy it earlier.</i></p>

I feel exactly the same way, but about my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, not the 50mm f/1.8 II USM. The 50 was one of my first lenses, based in a large part on the recommendations of posts that I read -- quite similar to this one. And, I'm not saying it's a bad lens. For the money, it's a great lens! Unfortunately, it just doesn't fit my shooting needs. I think whether or not you get a lens should be based upon that, more than others' recommendations. Unfortunately (for me), I realized that a bit late in the game. Having said that, however, if you decide that you don't want it, it's not that big of a cost to recoup. You might even be able to find a good one used, thereby reducing the price even further.

Amazon just had a sale on a Canon bag (backpack) for <$40, which even has room for a laptop (a must for digital camera). The review seems very positive. You may serach that site to see if it's still avalable.

The 10-22 should be your nest lens, or a 400mm with a TC, assuming you will get a tripod before that.