Haze on internal elements of Schneider Symmar-S lens

keith_rocke1

Hello to all on this forum. I am new to not only the forum but to L/F

as well. Just bought a To-- 45D off E--- and am trying to acquire a

couple of lenses... one being a medium-tele. I ran across a listing on

E--- for a Schneider Symmar-S 360mm that looks like a possibility.

However, the description reads (partially) "... clean and scratch

free, but there is a light haze on the internal elements. If taken

apart, this could probably be removed. In the current condition, it

will have very little or no affect on image quality."

I have a few question...

a) Where would a beginner (such as myself) turn to for a lens cleaning

on an item like this? I'm in Georgia...

b) Not knowing the CLA cost on such a lens, at what $$$ level should

my E--- interest STOP if a CLA has to be factored in?

c) As I try to sort through L/F issues, I've read that a concern with

focussing longer lenses is not enough bellows. I have a standard

bellows on this 45D - for those familiar with it. Will I run into

problens trying to focus such a lens?

My needs are to shoot subjects as I typically would with a medium

telephoto on a 35mm or 6x7.

Dust specs don't typically affect the final outcome (any format. But

haze is a bit different.

So, can anyone who's 'been there... done that' regarding CLA of

similar types of GLASS lend me a hand?

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Sorry about the abbreviated response...And for the medium tele you might want to consider a 300-355mm lens, like one of the Nikkor M or G-Claron lenses. A 360mm Symmar-S is usually a slightly-longer-than-medium lens for the 8x10 format, it's way too big and heavy for 4x5..

Ronald & Sergio... Thanks for the feedback. Yes! I know haze (any amount) can't be good regardless of format. Sergio. Thanks for the pointer on the F/L issue with that Schneider. I will seek out some used Caltars or Nikkors in the range 75mm ~ 240mm/300mm. I think I'll be OK with a 75mm/90mm and a 210mm/240mm or thereabouts.

Thanks guys,

Keith

I want to be a bit of a stickler on the term telephoto or "tele." A telephoto lens would of a design that made it's flange to film distance less than it's apparent magnification -- which in most modern camera applications wouldn't matter much -- except in this case where it does. If the Symmar were actually a telephoto lens -- it might work on your camera in that length.

I have a Symmar-S in a 210 mm lenght and it is a splendid lens -- I would look for one that is multicoated.

Thank you too Shawn for your input. I just acquired a used Caltar-S II 210mm f/5.6 lens. Plus, my 45D just arrived a few minutes ago. Needless to say, I'm that kid in the candy store. Coupled with the M/F I now use, 4x5 will add more bang for the buck (AKA: quality). A 75mm (or so) will round out my 'needs'. I included a frontal shot of the newly acquired 210.

Thanks so much of the feedback and input.

Keith<div>00D25B-24895084.JPG.859bdea4b118995cc6a01f1182cc1e6a.JPG</div>

I do not know why anyone would object to placing a 360mm on a Toyo 4x5......The front standard will certainly hold it and the lensboard is big enough.......... As long as the bellows will accomodate the lens your shooting , there should be no problems............ If you are a Portrait Photographer a trick of the masters is to use longer focal length lenses to eliminate subject shadow on the backdrops.... ( the backdrop will appear much closer than it really is) .... It also help in portraiture as it offers better perspective ..... You will also be at a farther distance from the subject so they are more comfortable.......... I would send the lens to SK Grimes or Lens Services in Wisconsin for a good CLA.....It will cost about $50 to $100 and the lens is certainly worth it......

Keith, your 210 is an excellent choice for a first lens. After many years, it remains my favorite lens. I believe it also has the benefit of being an ideal lens for learning the craft. I would suggest sticking with one lens until you have your feet on solid ground with 4x5. At that point, you will know if you want your second lens to be shorter or longer. If you opt for shorter, consider something in the 135 range. It is useful for group photographs and landscape. The 135 is in good supply and reasonably priced new or used. Eventually you may well want something wider, but don't overlook the very useful middle range. Enjoy.