shooting people dining with flash questions

j_maro

Hi,

I am to shoot a restaurant interior including people eating and drinking. My equipment is

the D70 using th sb-800. Here's my question. I'm scheduled to shoot with the light in the

restaurant being partial sunlight and partial exsisting interior lighting. I would like to use

my flash, bouncing the flash off the ceiling, but I want to preserve some of the ambient

light and have crisp shots with perhaps a short Depth of Field (which I could tecnically add

later in PS)

What are my settings? What camera and flash setting should I use to accomplish this as

this is a one time shoot. ISO? shutter? flash ev? etc

thanks for the help!

Really difficult to tell without knowing the exact conditons.

It will be worth noting which is the predominant light source, the daylight or interior lighting. The interior lighting may be tungsten, or strip lights and if it is more predominant you'll want to set your white balance for that and then use the appropriate gel on your flash so it's balanced. If daylight is predominant then your flash should be fine without a gel. Also bear in mind if the ceiling you're bouncing off has a colour or tint then that will affect the temperature of the bounced light, ie. if the ceiling is red it will bounce red light. If it's white, you're fine.

Settings will be determined by how much light there is so I can't offer any advice other than if it's very low and you're looking to capture the ambiance then a tripod and slow synch flash may work.

You're shooting digital though so you'll get immediate feedback on your results.

If you are going to use bounce flash, might try the Lightsphere II

if you can get your hands on one. It will provide an additional

softening of the overall light.

Like was said the predominate source

will dictate the white balance, although the flash will probably dominate it.

You might try using the flash in manual mode (to get full power) and

adjust your f-stop accordingly, I'd use a midpoint distance as the start.

If there is enough light try a couple without the flash, or just

use the flash (off-camera) as a fill.

forgot to answer some of your questions...

ISO - I'd go with 400 (higher speed low noise) or if you're shooting

raw you might try 800. Shutter try 1/30 and work up, you'll get

different results with each major step. Flash EV I'd give it +1 at least or go for max like I said above.

Actually if it's a one time shoot. Try as many as you can get away with.

Use your main settings (that you believe will get what you want), then

experiment like hell :{O

Sounds like fun!

Mixed lighting is one of those things where you have to 'be there' to evaluate what you have and understand what you're working with.

With a D70, your best 'tool' may be the in-camera meter in 'M' mode. The display is going to tell you what the ambient lighting is doing for your exposure, and then the I-TTL of the flash is going to layer in on top of that. Too little/too much ambient (based on chimping)? Dial your basic exposure up or down. Flash 'too hot'? Dial in a little negative EV on the flash itself.

ISO is probably going to be a function of the outdoor light. If you really have 'partial sunlight' lighting a significant portion of the scene, your ISO will be low (200) and your WB will be a variation on 'daylight' (or auto) with the flash kicking in most of the interior fill.

If the sunlight turns out to be not really a factor, you're probably going to boost ISO to 800 or so to pick up interior lighting. Here, the 'mixed color' of the lighting may eat your lunch. If it's incandescent, dragging the shutter will probably give a 'warm' feel to the place, which is usually an ok thing. If they're using CFLs, watch out, as the color could easily go green.