Will the Rover AW Plus pass for carry on baggage on an airline?

srileo

I just ordered one and would prefer it to be carryon. This is an

international flight.I can easily keep the weight under control, but

am concerned about the dimensions. The Rover II AW was a close

consideration, but i needed the extra space in the top compartment.

Thanks in advance!

Sridhar

It depends on the airline, aircraft used on the route, and class of service. There are NO standards - check each leg of each flight (including any plane changes). Also double check weight restrictions - they can be surprisingly small in some cases.

If you have a backpack, wear it! You are less likely to be challenged over its weight on an international flight if you carry it instead of putting it on a cart. I've never had a problem departing from the US, but European terminals are much stricter.

Hi Shridhar,

The Rover AW Plus is actually one of the backpacks I own. It should easily pass for a carry on, although it will be tough to fit under the seat in front of you if it's loaded to the hilt. :-) Might have to put it in the overhead bin, depending on the size of aircraft you're flying on.<BR>

I recently took it on a trip from Anchorage to Seattle with no problems. (On a 737)<BR>

Jed

Unlike Edward I never experienced a problem in Europe. I once had a problem in Newark airport when the security sent me back to check my carry-on. The airline wouldn't take it - their official advice was "that security guy is an asshole try the other one". Sure enough I passed straight through...

It is not the big jets and international flights that give you a problem. Even when they are fully booked and doing gate checks of rolling cabin baggage they will let you one with one backpack. Some of the commuter planes like the Canadair jets or the horrible turboprop planes have really small overhead bins and foot space. You might well be asked to gate check your backpack since you might struggle stowing it. With some effort both my Tamrac Pro-8 and S&F Rower Light will stow but they are seriously at the limit.