is worth the upgrade to me. However, to help me form that judgement

I would be interested in others experiences who have gone through

such an upgrade. What did you like most? Any suprises on the

upside? Downside? Any regrets?

For info, I tend to shoot mostly lanscapes, day and night, and lots

of travel photos. The lenses I have are the Sigma 12-24 EX, Sigma 18-

50 f2.8EX DC, Canon 28-135IS, Canon 50 f2.5 CM, Canon 75-300 IS USM

and EX 420 flash.

It is my humble opinion that you would get much better results by spending $800 on glass, rather than electronics.

Considering your current lenses... .no immediate needs spring to mind. I would suggest you bank the $800 and wait a year for something better.

I don't think I need to spend $800. If I can get $500 for my old drebel + EF-S 18-55 then I think the upgrade would only cost around $300 net. The thing is I will be returning permanently to my home country in a few months and the cost of an upgrade in a year's time will be much worse. I think the 350D retails for about $US 1200-1300 there.

I would second the advice to get your hands on one before you decide.

I went from the 300D to the 350D, and it was a little weird at first: the little finger on my right hand had nowhere to rest. I quickly got over that, however, and now the 350D feels much more natural and fluid than the 300D ever did. But that may just be a result of more shooting.

I haven't made many large (13x19") prints from the 350D yet, but I doubt you'll notice a difference in print quality. One thing I have noticed is that shooting Raw+Jpeg eats up memory cards much faster than the 300D did in Raw mode.

Anyway....If the size is OK with you, I'd say go for it. If you wait for the replacement of the 350D, you'll be shooting with the 300D for the next 18 months or so. If you get the 350D now, you'll be using it during that same time for only $300.

possibly instead of a new xt, upgrade your glass. (hypothetically) sell off the Sigma 18-50, Canon 28-135, and 75-300. add that to your 800 bucks, and get yourself a 70-200L 2.8 and a 17-40L. keep the canon 50mm, and you'll have a complete set that will offer the highest quality, and won't have possible compatability problems with the next canon body you buy (outside of the 12-24, that is). happy shooting.

I have both, because I need 2 bodies. Since it doesn?t appear you need both. I would sell your 300D while the price is still high and get the XT. If you can get a 20 2.8 or 24 2.8 for landscapes. The biggest difference I noticed is the speed of the XT, much faster, and noise above 400 on the XT is much lower. The size issue has never been a problem for me even when I use it without the Grip. My hands are pretty big. It?s a matter of preference I guess. You could also sell your 300d and get the 20D. I am leaning that way. Myself right now.

In addition to the small improvement in picture quality and smaller physical size, one

difference that is very important to me is speed. It drove me crazy waiting for the 300D to

turn on or wake up, whereas the XT is almost instant. The XT also writes much faster to

compact flash, so you are much less likely to be waiting for photos to be written. These

speed changes alone are enough to make the upgrade worthwhile, in my view.

John

Thanks for all your responses. The XT arived last night. First impressions, yes it is definitely small. For me this is as many steps back as forwards, as I like a small camera as I travel a bit, but the grip is really so small that I can only get a couple of fingers around it, which does not make for very secure holding. I wish Canon had gone for something in between the size of this and drebel classic. I think even my EOS 300 is easier to hold. Anyway I expect I will get used to it. The startup time, buffer clearing speed, and chimping speed are excellent. Exactly what I owuld have wished for.

In regards to the menus Canon seemed to have introduced more button pushes to do everything, but I expect I will get used to this too. Michael Reichman doesn't know what he is talking about when he complained of a dim LCD. It is fine.

Love the shutter sound. I wonder if Canon have put some sound effects into it to make it sound high tech!

I think this thing will be enough camera to last me until Canon introduce something in the 12-16 megapixel range for under $500.

Once again thanks.