IIIf rehab cost

john15

I'm thinking about buying a IIIf which I will outfit with a C/V lens

and viewfinder. I assume the usual cla will be in order but I wonder

what other problems I might encounter. What would be the "worst case"

and would it be worth the cost? Also, are there significant

differences between the IIIf and the IIIc beside the ability to use

flash [not important]?

The early IIIf, the so-called "black dial" because of the color of the numbers on the flash synch dial, and the IIIc have the cross over point from the slow speed dial to the high speed dial at 1/30 second. The later "red dial" IIIf, like the IIIg, has it at 1/50 second. That's also the fasted speed it'll X synch. If you ever do want to use flash it's handy to have the X synch at 1/50.

IMHO it is always worth fixing a IIIf to use. Send it to Don at DAG and he will set the right. Figure $250 for a complete CLA. If it needs parts like curtians the price will go up.

Don's brought back to life a couple IIIf's for me that were basket cases.

Probably about $250 for the CLA, which may sound high considering the price of the

camera. But think of it like this. I picked up my IIIc with a 3.5/50 Elmar for $300. It cost

me $250 to get is rebuilt. Crazy? Depends. First off I really like the camera. Second, if it

was made today, it would cost a heck of a lot more than $550 bucks. My guess is well over

a thousand dollars.

feli

A camera store near my winter home uses a fellow named John Maddox in Carolina, and I had them send my screwmount to him a couple years back. It was $85 for a full overhaul and another $85 for a new rangefinder mirror because the second image had faded to nothing. I recall them saying he replaced both curtains on another body for around the same $85. His prices might be higher by now, but probably not anywhere as high as DAG or Sherry. He did gorgeous work BTW, but it took forever.

I've had about 4 cameras worked on by John Maddox. A CLA now seems to run around a

$100 to a little more, depending on the model. My RDST was a bit more expensive

because of the labor working on the self-timer.

John is absolutely dependable and does great work.

My IIIc was CLA'd with new curtains by John Maddox in 2003, and he also CLA'd a lens. Total for the whole job was around $250.

John is:

1) slow

2) on par with other folks' prices

3) absolutely worth every penny he charges and every day he takes.

4) an old school gentleman

I recommend him without reservation.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...