Hassel 500 Identification- Need Help

fc.moreira

Hi Everyone,

I am buying a Hassel 500 but I don't know if it is a CM or not. The

owner just informed me the id nbr on the back. I believe there's an id

nbr on the body also to decode. If so, can someone tell me where in

the body can I read this number? I waana make sure it is a CM or not.

In the case it isn't a CM is there something wrong with olders models

beside the fact of no interchangeable screens? Many tks for your help.

Fernando.

Hello Fernando,

if you remove the finder and look at the screen from the top you can find out if it's a C/M or a C. The screen of the C is fixed with 4 screws on the corner of the body, the C/M has in the middle on the left and on the right a clip that holds the screen. Therefore you can exchange the screens easier.

hope this helps - regards Richard

Even better (so you will not need to rely on other people), here's how to date Hasselblad items yourself.<br><br>The serial number contains two letters. Sometimes thee, but then only the first two are important.<br>These letters are a coded version of the year of manufacture.<br>To decipher the code, you need the 'magic word'<br><br>VHPICTURES<br><br>Easy to remember: it is "VH" for Victor Hasselblad, and "PICTURES" as in the things you make with them.<br><br>These letters, in this order, stand for the numerals<br><br>1234567890<br><br>Such that V=1, H=2, etc.<br>A 'for instance': "ES" stands for "90", "TC" for "65", "SP" for "03", etc.<br>You will have to figure out what century this decade and year fall in, but that should not be too difficult for the next 40+ years (they started using the code in the late 1940s).<br><br>You cannot date lenses this way, since they are not made by Hasselblad. There is a rather intricate code on most (not all) lenses too, but the easiest way to know when a lens was made is by looking the serial number up in the tables in Richard Nordin's most excellent book, "Hasselblad System Compendium". Get a copy!

Paul,<br><br>A "500 C/M" is a "500 C" with user interchangeable focussing screens.<br> A "501 CM" is a "501 C" with larger mirror.<br><br>So let's assume it is a "500", not a "501" (the image isn't available anymore?). Then, one should know that the first cameras with user interchangeable focussing screens were not labeled C/M, but still just C.<br>So if a camera doesn't say "500 C/M", but "500 C" on the body, yet has user interchangeable focussing screens, it is a "500 C/M". These cameras are sometimes called "transitional 500 C/M" or "transitional 500 C".<br>That "very old" precursor of the "500 C/M", will be the "500 C", which could be less than a year older. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...