kim yee

I am going to Japan soon. I have previously asked about where to get

some second hand leica stuff in Tokyo. Some of the members

recommended me to Mapcamera. It was a very very good advice. However,

I would also like to know if there's anymore second hand shop in

Tokyo beside Map Camera. Thank you.

Annotations to that link above:

Alps-dou: recommendation seconded

Ameyoko: I'm not sure that I know that particular store, but that area has many bargains, so people expect and even come to presume that they're going to get bargains, and perhaps this is why at least some camera stores in that area can get away with really high prices.

Fujisawa: unfriendly, on the one occasion I visited (some years ago)

Fujiya: seconded

Hayata: expensive but excellent

Kawamasu: They used to smoke. The place smelled. I didn't return.

Kimura (Shinjuku): seconded, but it moved over a year ago.

Kimura (Kanda): just about as good

Lemon (Ginza): I imagine that the address predates their recent move.

Lucky: They used to smoke. The place smelled. I didn't return.

Map: seconded

Nittou: seconded

Ooba ("Ohba"): seconded

Sankyou: seconded

Sanpou ("Sanpoh"): seconded

Sukiya: a lot of the stuff is expensive; an interesting minority isn't at all (I actually bought a camera from them)

Yodobashi: doesn't sell used stuff

Yoyogi: very friendly; don't overlook the second floor (separate entrance)

Plus

Ichiba (Shinjuku): amazing

Box (Shinjuku): amazing

Katsumidou (Ginza): rich fondlers' heaven; good for an unintended laugh

What's most important to remember is that most of the stuff for sale in Japan is on consignment ("itakuhin"). In principle, there's no guarantee on any of this: you pay, it's yours; if anything is wrong, tough. In practice, if you look as if you are a decent person who won't abuse the trust, the possibility of a refund within a week (or so) for a serious and undeclared defect will often be murmured to you or even written out for you. But policies vary from store to store, and they also vary within the stores. If you can read Chinese, you'll probably be able to make out enough of what's written in Japanese on the price tag to understand the status of what's for sale. Even better: go along with somebody who can speak in Japanese, don't waste their time (asking to have piles of stuff taken out of glass cabinets when they're busy with other customers), and be polite and don't speak in a loud voice.

Oh, and Tokyo is not known as a place for Leica-brand bargains, so you may be wasting your time. Still, it's a place for Mamiya Six (folder) bargains.

Ditto to what Peter said. Prices for anything German are way beyond what we are used to seeing in the States or Europe but there are lots of bargains in japanese gear, even made in Japan Contax gear. I usually go to Map Camera and was there two weeks ago. The staff is very honest and helpful, knowing I don't read Japanese they take the time to explain the defects. The shops in the Ginza are worth visiting just to window shop. It is like visiting the Museum Mile in NYC for photo nuts!

In these second hand shops is there any camera shop etiquette to follow when looking at

a camera to purchase ? -

Yesterday I found a small camera shop near Hiroshima station . They had an M6 in the

window so i asked to see it .So the guy gets it out of the window a little annoyed I was

interrupting the baseball game he was watching --He hands me the camera to look at

while telling me it came from New York and it is brand new --so as he is talking I

carefully look at the cameras body ,look through the view finder and then I selected the

slowest shutter speed ,cocked the lever - CLICK-for a moment it was the loudest Leica

ever heard - the room went silent-I thought the guy was going to have a heart attack-he

grabbed the camera ,pointed to the plastic still on the base plate and insisted it was brand

new . Is it not a reasonable expectation to check out a camera before you buy it ? By the

way he wanted 1300.00 US for the camera and 650.00 US for a 50mm summicron in "very

good" condition.

Yodobashi in Tokyo and Osaka both have some used stuff. In Tokyo, it's kind of up front on the film floor, In Osaka, it's at the far end of the camera counter.

I don't recall seeing any Leicas but it doesn't mean they weren't there. I wasn't shopping for used and so didn't spend much time looking.

Conni