Assignment #2

laurenm

Okay, a few have collaborated and come up with our next assignment.

Open to all who wish to participate (email me if you wish to be on

the reminder email list) The next three months of assignments will

all be related to flash use. Hopefully, we'll get some of our

favorite pros in here to help us learn :) but we will also learn by

critiquing each other and by asking questions. No question is too

dumb (I plan to ask a few myself).

Assignment #2 to be turned in for critique and discussion by posting

photos in your PN portfolio and providing a link here in this thread.

Due on or before April 26th. Ideally, you will want to post once and

then go out and work on your shots again, posting by the deadline.

You should have 4 photos covering the following topics:

1)Basic outdoor fill shooting in the shade.

2)Extra flash comp when shooting on a sunny day, towards the sun.

3)Extra flash comp when shooting in the shade, where the background

is sunny, and you want to balance the exposure of where you are

shooting, to where the background is lit up.

4). Difficult lighting where the lighting is spotty.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mary, definitely, PLEASE share with us whenever you get the scans! Your outdoor shots in your portfolio are just as gorgeous as the rest of your portfolio. We'd all love for you to share your results and techniques! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit, I'm finding this challenging. Looking back over my recent work I realise this is not something I'm doing well and I'm relying on PS to compensate.

This one is an exanmple of spotty light and it really bugs me. There was just no solid shade in the garden and I didn't do a great job. Mum was very happy but I'm not. Any advice about how to do better next time is appreciated.<div>00G1Wx-29385684.thumb.jpg.ea23d49012bc8fe83be7fe9dfc5bc57b.jpg</div>

Shot on Nikon D70, in P mode (oh the shame of admitting it!). F 7.1 with 50mm lens. The flash (SB800) fired but I don't know how to find out what it was set to. I'm looking at the EXIF data and it says he exposure time was 10/2000, this is 1/200 right?

As you can see I basically freaked a bit and didn't think things through. It was NOT a pro gig so don't flame me :-)

Well, in the post from Kari about the other thread with a lot of good info from Nadine, Marc, and others, there was a recent addition. Ill just post it in here, compliments of Brooks Short...

"Over on the lighting forum, Bob Lawrence has a post about a lighting blog he's discovered. It's written by a newspaper photographer with the Baltimore Sun and it's about using small battery powered, portable flashes. There are some wonderful lighting techniques and photographs being discussed there.

You can find it at www.strobist.blogspot.com

Check it out when you get a chance"

I did, and there are some interesting points contained there-in. Enjoy!

Nicola, first of all, wonderful shot of those little girls !! Full of life. No wonder the Mom

was pleased.

Sometimes we get so caught up in the technical aspects that we overlook the obvious ... a

great shot that just needs a tweak or two.

Since others will discuss selecting where you shoot and other preventative techniques, I

thought I'd discuss some alternative ideas when faced with difficult lighting ... because

sometimes there is no other place to shoot where the conditions will be ideal.

As to the lighting, IF you have the opportunity (like when doing outdoor portraits), a

simple scrim held off camera will diffuse the harder edged light and lower the need for

flash. If you study the image you took, more fill flash wasn't the answer. The dress is

almost blown out, and you already have drop shadows by the front girls' arm.

A scrim is simply a frame with translucent material stretched over it. There are ones made

that are on pop-open spring-metal frames that can be folded up to the size of a large

Pizza. Very inexpensive. I carry one of those and a double sided spring-open Gold/Silver

reflector in my car ... and have used them at weddings many times. Reflectors are also a

wonderful alternative to flash, producing much nicer, more natural looking directional

light.

I took the liberty to tweak your image to simulate the effect a scrim would have on it. In

addition, I softened the background to simulate what using a faster aperture could do ...

although your lens is probably a 4.5 max aperture which may not produce shallow depth-

of-field like I've simulated. But your use of "P" had the camera selecting f/7.1 ... which is

the problem in using "P".

Hope this helps, and again ... great shot.<div>00G1mQ-29393084.thumb.jpg.760980126fb7570303f9d2b015151814.jpg</div>

Here's a recent portrait next to a large window with pretty direct sunlight ... where I used off

camera flash to my right for fill, add a catch light to the eyes and edging on the lips. Plus

used a scrim to diffuse the hard window light on the other side of her face.

The result is a very 3D feel to the portrait, even though I used a long lens that usually flattens

the perspective.<div>00G1my-29393384.jpg.042a89883954284cf4b6994ab90a6581.jpg</div>

Nice touch up Marc! and beautiful Portrait! I have an outdoor wedding coming up and was thinking of getting a scrim (didn't know what they were called), but not sure how to use it. I have held one once as an assistant and thought I was just blocking the sun with it, creating shade, but in your touched up sample, the shade and sun still show. Maybe there is an instructional video somewhere?

What would a faster shutter speed (don't know what Nicola's was)and maybe 100 ISO instead of 200 have done?

All that a scrim does is diffuse the light and keeps it natural looking. You'll still get lights

and darks but they're softer edged ... like firing a strobe through a soft box.

In effect it evens out the natural available light. Movie sets often feature ones the size of

the side of a house to diffuse harsh light on a whole set.

Using them is simple, but you do need either an assistant (the Mom in Nicolas' case ; -), or

a stand. Just hold it up to shade the subject and watch the effect it has. You can hold it

from the side on a 3/4 angle, or if the sun is directly overhead, hold it above the subject

just out of camera view. No tutorial is really needed.

B&H has them listed under : Lighting > Lighting Controls & Modifiers > Reflectors and

accessories > Collapsible Reflectors ... The one I recommend is the 41" X 72" white

translucent for $65. It can also be used as a bounce reflector. Further shopping will reveal

one that provides 5 different changeable surfaces for $95.