Sigma 50-500, Sigma 170-500, or Tamron 200-500

joshua_odonnell

Hi folks, I'm looking to purchase a new zoom that extends to 500 mm without

having to sell my left kidney (already had to sell the right one to pay for

college). Basically I want to stay under $1K.

I know that you get what you pay for when it comes to these things, but I've

also read plenty of reviews for each one, and it seems they're each viewed by

many as great deals for the $$$. I'm just curious if anyone has compared

any/all of these lenses and might give some feedback... My two biggest

questions concern the AF speed of each as well as the sharpness of each fully

extended.

I should mention that I shoot with a Nikon D50 and will primarily use

whichever lens I buy for birding around the Tampa Bay area. Thanks for any

suggestions!

I've always thought that a used Sigma 170-500mm (by used, I mean in the $425 range) is one of the better bargains for the $$$. It's what I started with for a long lens and the only thing I didn't like about it was the tendency for the zoom to extend when I carried it around. For an inexpensive lens it was surprisingly sharp.

What I think is an even better bargain for the money is a used Nikon 300mm f/4 AF (I'm viewing one on auction right now for $365) + a Kenko Pro 1.4x TC. The combo = 420mm and the sharpness/contrast easily makes up for the 80mm difference.

Listen to Greg. If you are indeed serious about using this for birds (and they would have to

be large birds/ near ones, at that), then forget about the zoom and shoot for the older

300mm f4.0AF and a Tamron/ Kenko SP 1.4x converter. This combo will walk circles

around any of the zooms you've mentioned and will keep some cash in your pocket for

wider lenses, too. Good luck.

Josh , I had the sigma 170-500 and sold it to upgrade to the 50-500 and am I glad I did.the 170-500 was almost unusable in very bright light situations, ghosting was terible. that said I absolutly love the 50-500 no ghosting and twice as sharpe. also faster(and quiter) autofocus.A very nice lense. now if I could just swing the 300-800 I would be a happy boy. Bob O'Leary Lincoln Montana<div>00HQGr-31381884.thumb.jpg.9d646c5011c1eef364f5536c1b267962.jpg</div>

I have the 50-500 and the 170-500 with my Canon 20D & 350D. The 50-500 focuses quite a bit faster, and mine is sharp wide open @ 500mm. I usually stop down to f8 with the 170-500, and the 50-500 is still sharper.

On the downside, the 50-500 is only really about 465mm @ the 500mm, whereas the 170-500 is closer to 500mm, more like 490mm.

The 50-500 is also _much_ heavier than 170-500. It probably weighs twice as much.

99% of what I shoot is birds.

Ahhhh third times a charm Bob! Thanks for the example and advice...

I've a feeling I'm going to end up with the Tamron 200-500... It's considerably lighter than the 50-500 and most reviews I've read from people who've used them both seem to favor the overall performance of the Tamron... Plus I can get it for ~$250 cheaper than the Sigma 50-500, which I can put towards some new filters!

Have you considered you're also going to need a first class tripod to go with any long lens? I'm not talking about a Bogen 3001 for a hundred bucks here. As for the lens, I'd recommend either the Sigma 50-500mm or a Nikon 300mm f4 + 1.4x, all from eBay.

Kent in SD

• 1 month later...

I'd say : go for the 50-500, forget about a tripod (think about circumstances, carrying it and time to install/setup); 465 mm or 500 doesn't really make a difference but image stabilisation does !!!

(like perhaps a Sigma 80-400 with optional converter, if AF doesn't have to be very fast ...).

• 1 year later...
I had the Tamron 200-500 many years ago but when I went digital I bought the Sigma 170-500 and I loved it. Then I bought the Sigma 50-500 and I loved it too but in well less than a year the rubberized coating was worn off. I just got the 300-800 and I love it. It's very heavy but has extremely sharp optics and works great.

• 4 years later...