Trying to purchase a Leica M6 ttl from private seller

The Russian copies are of Leica thread-mount models, not of the M. If you are not familiar with the Leica, it's a bit difficult to explain everything you should look for. As a minimum, check for a reasonably well cared for appearance; that there are no holes in the shutter curtains; that all speeds work smoothly (1/15 and 1/30 sound different from the other speeds--that's OK); and all controls are smooth.

There is a discussion of what to look for--either on Cameraquest, or on Andrew Nemeth's website, nemeng.com or perhaps on both.

Ask to see receipts, or some record of the camera's history. Check and compare prices from other sources. If you can get to a dealer who has a Leica M6 in stock, try and have a close look at it. Do you have any photographs of leica M6 cameras?

Go to Google.com, type in " Leica M6 " , click on Images, then Search. Many of the images are large and clear enough to Save and print out so that you can study them in detail.

Hope this helps.

Kevin ( in Oslo, Norway )

In addition to your question "How can I tell between fake and real?", I would be more concerned about the camera being a stolen one. We don't know where you are in the world, so it it is difficult to give specific advice. Where did you meet the seller?

I gather the impression he was more concerned on the integrity of the private seller rather than the item being a 'fake' or real. Contact and speak to the seller on the phone, get some personal info from him, how he propose to accept payment, some refund assurance, references if any are some of the usual basic preliminary checks. If there's any sign of a 'red' herring, stay away from it. There's more M6 TTLs around to ensure a safer transaction when you have the time and patience.

Thanks everyone for the useful tips.

Answers for Kevin-

This would be my first Leica if I place the order. However, I had pleasant experience to

use M6 ttl 5 years ago from a friend for about half year. I've started doing researches on

and off since that experience but not seriously. Recently, I found an old photo done by

Leica with great richness and detail. Finally, I make the decision to get one. I plan to visit

the seller in NYC who was recommended by this forum.