Idea for this image

laurenm

I have an idea of what I'd like to do with this shot and wonder if anyone else

sees what I do. More importantly, is it doable visually and technically?

I'll wait for some responses before pocting my version :)<div>00HSfW-31439284.jpg.80bb22e10d7c40daeb422da117240856.jpg</div>

This is why digital can be so dangerious at first. There are so many things you can do, or

think you can do, that are actually a huge waste of time in the end ... so you sit there doing

exactly that ... wasting time in front of the computer.

Fortunately, digital also has a delete key.

It was from a friend's wedding and I don't have nearly as many shots to deal with as if it were a job so I guess I was just taking time playing. I was about to delete without question when I decided to zoom in just to look at their faces and started wondering (what Larry said). Though that was when I realized the zoomed crop would need possible substantial work. This is the idea I was playing with (ignore the fact that I had sharpened it which makes it worse) In one version I tried her eye was real blue and thought it was kind of neat.

Should I still just forget it?<div>00HSqK-31443684.jpg.e711be0ab409de4da52273b39c896566.jpg</div>

ditto Marc and Al's comments. Especially Marc's about too much time being spent. Even if you don't have that many shots too work with - if it's a real struggle to pull something out of an original - that should be a hint. Because you can go so many directions with digital options it's easy to get caught up in trying new things. That will burn off hours real quick. The first step though is recognizing when it's better to hit delete up front...saves you time and will up your quality in the long run. Regarding this particular image yes, if you had shot it a little tighter and had the full eye showing you would be on to something.....the best part is that next time you will!

Learn to see this potential through the lens, during the moment etc. This comes with being part of the moment. A 200MM would have captured this vision at the point of capture. Post work should be to enhance what you have. Quality and creativity should be acheived at point of catpure IMO.

I would leave it as you took it and see/acheive it next time through the lens.

Hi Lauren, Finally got back to this site. Your massive cropping would be OK if the brides full

eye showed, but as is I'm afraid it doesn't work. Moving a bit to the left would have made

that possible, otherwise it is just the backs of people. Use the exersize to learn from and you

will have gained experience. Paul

Every one goes through this when learning PhotoShop ... it's responsible for a lot of the

abominations done in the name of creativity.

When I first started digital with a Canon 30D and basic PS it was like I had never learned

anything in the conventional darkroom ... looking back on it afterwards it was clear that

some of the stuff was simply atrocious... and a huge waste of time that would have been

better spent learning digital basics like use of flash and all the other stuff.

The purpose of a forum like this is to save people from wasting time by sharing what was

learned the hard way. But, maybe, you just have to learn it the hard way for it to be

meaningful.

BTW, I am not against cropping, even severe cropping. It's the reason I use a mega-

megapixel digital camera which allows me to do it when I wish. One has to keep in mind

the limits of the gear they are using and act accordingly.

Lauren, getting into the habit of thinking you can save it in PhotoShop is a BAD habit.

Break that habit as fast as possible and concentrate on mastering the basics ... which is

difficult enough in it's own right.

Thanks everyone, I will look to do that shot some day in camera. Had I been the pro at the wedding, I would have gotten some tighter shots at time of caprure, but I was only "practicing" anyway (with the blessings of the pro) who had four guys in front of me at this point.

Marc, I will take your advice especially with my current gear and stop even zooming to take a look. You are right I have other things to be doing.

Thanks!