Nikon N8008 (F801) - Is this the most underrated AF SLR?

mfophotos

Vivek, Just because you said this I am taking an EM out this evening to go shutterbugging. BTW, to torture you, this EM, a repaired unit that looks BRAND NEW, complete with inspection sticker works like a top after cleaning the f-stop ring behind the lens mount (Too tight a fit from the factory and dissimilar metal problem easily fixed with application of a catalytic cleaning agent).

Just to mention again; a camera that dose not give total control is not a camera for me. The EM sucks. But hey, thats my opinion. The 8008 is great in manual focus mode, accurate metering, and High eye point. I use mine to meter for my Toyo 4cf. I have 3 spot meters, but I choose to keep this around my neck as I compose my upside down images. The matrix metering is fantastic.

This is a bit off topic, but I for one use the Program (P) mode frequently on my F5 and D2X. Ever since Nikon came up with Flex Program with the N8008 (at least that was my first SLR with that option) so that I can manually select different equivalent shutter speed/aperture combinations while the camera determines exposure, I have been using it instead of Aperture Priority, which I "grew up with" using the FE/FE2.

In the last 10 years or so, P and M are the only two modes I use. To me, P is essentially an more advanced A.

P.S. Vivek, you didn't expect me to ever own an EM, did you? :-)

I see that the EM engenders love or hate. I bought one once, and as a cheap, no-frills SLR

that could be used as a point and shoot, it was great for that. It's better than no SLR at all,

and was definitely better than the equivalent Pentax MG that I had years ago.

My stable of Nikon cameras that I use right now ranges from an FM, FM2N, FA, N80, D70s,

and now the N8008. For the features it has, it's a lot like the much heavier F4s that I used

to own, and the viewfinder is wonderful. I wish my D70 had such a good one as that. So,

yes, the AF is slow compared to the N80, but I am not one for fast-moving subjects,

anyways. The ability to use a AI lens and meter with it is a big plus, without having to go

and spend hundreds of $$ more. The only quirky thing about it is the need for a 2 pin

connector for a remote shutter release.

I'm not sure if this camera is the most underrated, but it is certainly a great purchase at that price.

I think the most underrated Nikons right now are probably the F90/N90 (non-x/s) and F70/N70. Here's why.

Both cameras have lots of functionality including high maximum shutter speeds (1/8000 and 1/4000 respectively), fast motor drives (3.6 and 3.7 fps respectively), wide autofocus sensors, decent autofocus speed, and good ergonomics. (The F70 is a little quirky but you get used to it quickly.) They also both drive AF-S lenses and they will work with G lenses, albeit in P or S mode only. They also meter with AI lenses, which is a nice touch.

I think the F801/F801s is a good camera too but it'd have to be a lot cheaper to make me buy one instead of the F90 or F70. If you aren't going to use autofocus, it's a fantastic choice, actually.

Bargain-grade F90s aren't much over $100 these days though, and I think that's incredible value for what you get. You do have to get the MF-26 back to do multiple exposures, though. That's the only negative.

I think the EM is decent, by the way. I do wish it had a proper shutter dial, but you can get the effect you want by manipulating ISO. I found an EM with an AF 35/2 to be a fantastic combination for available-light shooting... nice and small and inobtrusive.

• 4 months later...

Let me add my .02 cents....

I bought an N8008 by mistake last spring (What? You've never bid without really reading the offer?) The mistake worked out fine... so well that I recently bought an F801. Like Dave Lee, I have a N80 with all the bells, but has that that squinty finder.The high point view on the 8008/801 is terrific. Works well with manual lenses, even without a split screen.

My vote for the second most neglected/underated Nikon is the N2020.

AF is not impressive, but used with Ai lenses, it's a great handling camera with decent metering and auto-wind. Plus... Durable and Cheap... hard to beat. ("Google" Stella's comments)

Rick