<p>I made a post on here several months back asking for help in

choosing a 6x17 camera. Several people recommended the Fuji G617, I

rented one from a local shop for a day and was totally blown away by

the results. I immediately bought a used model from Bob Watkins, who

posts occasionally on these boards (thanks Bob!)</p>

<p>The camera seems to be working fine, but I'm about to drag it on a

12-week expedition across the arctic, and would like to get it

serviced before I go. The shutter is my greatest concern, since the

counter reads just under 400 and it's probably never been overhauled.

Besides, I'll just feel better if the camera starts the trip on a

clean bill of health....</p>

<p>Can anybody recommend a service/repair shop in Canada that deals

with the G617? I'd rather not send it out of the country, since it

was a nightmare going through customs -- took over a month -- and I

can't risk the wait. Quite happy to ship it anywhere in Canada,

although finding a local shop in Toronto would obviously be

preferable. I need somebody who is honest and will actually overhaul

the shutter (not just reset the counter and tell me it's fixed.) Any

suggestions?</p>

<p>- Mark</p>

Hi Mark.I'm not sure, but Fuji Canada used to have a warehouse and service dept. located in the Malton area (N. of Toronto).I know because I had to call them regarding a technical question with my then newly purchased Fuji GSW690III ... but that was about 3 or 4 years ago.You could try "googling" for Fujifilm Canada and see what comes up, sorry I don't have their phone number any more.

I'm hoping they still exist, as in a few years my 2 Fujis will need servicing no doubt.

Hope this helps in some way, good luck.

Much thanks Steven! But will Fuji service this camera when it's already many years discontinued? That would be fantastic if I could get it done locally.

I've also considered taking it to Vistek, but their service department is dubious at best, and they'd probably charge more than the original price of the camera...

Hi Mark. I spoke with a service representative today at Fuji Canada and they could not give me a quote regarding servicing the G617. They said that all cameras must be be mailed in or brought to them (in Mississauga), and then after evaluating the camera based on the customer's needs, have it sent off to Fuji USA for servicing or repair.

Seems like it would take longer than expected, and so much for trying to keep it in Canada.You could try Kominek Camera & Optical Repair at Yonge and College (416)977-2132, or Commercial Camera Repair also on Yonge St. (416)223-2257, both located in downtown Toronto. I have had absolutely no experience with either repair shops, so I am not endorsing them, just found them under photo equip. repair in the Yellow Pages.It wouldn't hurt to give them a call or just ask Fuji Canada for a "ballpark" questimate.

Best of luck...Steve.

• 4 weeks later...
If its just the shutter mechanism you are concerned about you could take it to anyone who has experience servicing a Seiko 0 leaf shutter. I would only take it to Fuji if the film transport mechanism or pressure plate was running into problems (there's not really that much to these 617s).