OT Photography you do vs photographers you enjoy.

Trevor, Your opening post seems to declare that you are set in your photographic style and satisfied with the state of affairs. Nothing wrong with that, if true.

But

Some ache, reaching toward a greater definition of experience than they have ever achieved. They are haunted by visions of a spiritual consistency woven through life -- a grace peeking out through eyes, curves, lightfall, space...these photographers look into the hearts of strangers and lovers, they study the situations of wind and observe the many shapes time carves...these photographers study other's photographs of all kind and caliber. For from this communion they might find a way to capture the breath of beauty that drives them, but it will take everything--more actually than they thought they ever had to give--and change them as utterly as those who view their work will be changed.

Like others have mentioned, I tend to capture images that have no people in them. That's partly because I do a lot of digital IR, and people (while interesting in IR) are not my main interest.

But I recently acquired a Leica CL with 40 Summi lens for $3 at a thrift store, and the wonderful, classic, images posted by all of YOU in the Leica thread are inspiring me to carry it into the city, to museums, and out at night...to shoot lamp-illuminated streets, shadowy buildings, bridges in the fog, portraits of women, and...uh...get a grip Dave!

Hi Peter,

No irony at all...I'm keeping the $3 Goodwill sticker on the baseplate! The camera was under the usual pile of plastic 110s and Polaroids. And I think the only reason it was still there was because the winder and shutter release seemed to be totally locked.

But the lens was clean (and thankfully) still unscratched...so I snapped it up. Then, back at home (and I don't know why) I decided to try unscrewing the metal collar around the shutter button. And almost immediately, everything unlocked.

Screwing the collar back just slightly locks the release again.

I've heard that this may be an undocumented (and previously unknown) "feature" of the CL!

Sincerely,

Dave

I have always been impressed with Bill Brandt and Andre Kertesz but when I saw them both interviewed I was surprised how long they often waited to take a photo and how much was posed. My pictures tend to be snatched as I very rarely go out specifically to take photos. So to answer your question I agree with you. I should love to have time to wait and wait for the right moment.