Thanks for looking. The shop is located in Lan Kwai Fong a couple of streets

up from Queens Rd Central. These shops are the traditional old grocery

shops and there are very few still left because HK is like everywhere else and

is dominated by supermarkets and convenience stores. These shops sell

drygoods, not fresh food like meat and I would buy there anyday. It is chaotic

but not unhygenic.

The man who owns the shop is an extremely nice guy who speaks only a little

English but was happy for me to photograph - I did ask permission. I returned

twice more to photograph and gave him some prints.

I will post some more and try to get the brightness/contrast a bit better.

Cheers.

Come on Wayne,there is no such a shop in Lan Kwai Fong.you might shot it somwewhere in the back street closed to SOHO or Sheung Wan.By the way,Eddie,you got the first photo in reverse.If my guess is right the shoe repairers photo was taken at a side street next to Pedder Building,and the shoe shiners photo was taken at Theatre Lane in Central.

Chris Yu

Chris,

How far is Lan Kwai Fong from SoHo? About 50 metres? Do they merge

together? SoHo is a western invention. Lan Kwai Fong is the district. Is it

really that important? Get real. If you live in Hong Kong, I will be back there in

October. I will take you there and introduce you to the owner. Have a nice

day. And no, my photograph is not reversed.

Wayne,

SOHO = Shops over Hollywood Road,it is about 10 minutes walk or 300 to 400 metres west of Lan Kwai Fong.It's an area with Pubs,restaurants,coffee shops , western style bakery,and souvenir shops,just next to the world famous pedestrian escalator system.In between Staunton Street and Elgin Street.Spend sometime there when you are in Hong Kong the coming October.I didn't meant your photo was in reverse.It's EDDIE LAW's photo of a street side toy shop.Do check it out PLEASE.Your photo was possibly taken close to a street market somewhere around Gage Street and Graham Street (around 5 minutes walk west of LKF) with street vendors selling groceries,fresh fishes,and butcher shops.I'll go and check it out this weekend.

Chris

P.S.:I know there is another Soho in London,but it is not related to my message.

Chris,

SOHO is "South of Hollywood Road", not "Shops over Hollywood Road". I

don't think it is really important but if we are going to be pedantic...that is the

correct definition. Look it up if you like.

Chris, Send me an email and we can get together in October. I'm sure there

are more interesting things we can discuss.

Wayne M.

Wayne,

I have located your shop.It's at the corner of Wellington Street and Graham Street.The exact address is no.120 Wellington Street,it is about 5 to 8 minutes walk west of Lai Kwai Fong.By the way, Lai Kwai is the name of the street,and Fong in Chinese means a short street or a crescent.Lan Kwai Fong is a street located in the Central District,or in Chinese "Cheung Wan",Cheung means central,whereas Wan means district.Yes,you are right SoHo is "South of Hollywood Road.I am not a pedant,and never will.I am just a humble local resident of Hong Kong and Leicaphile.

Chris<div>00Cuji-24723584.jpg.200b211ee5c1f65ea718adc48dec70c8.jpg</div>

Strange. Wayne posts a good photograph of a shop, which exudes the mood of the place.

Then Chris feels compelled to bicker about precisly where it is, as if it were a matter of life

and death. And subsequently Chris goes to the shop and posts four absolutely uninteresting

snapshops of it. I guess what this thread shows what is a good photograph. But that we could

alreday see form Wayne's picture. All Chris has managed to show is that he has too much

time on his hands.

--Mitch/Bangkok