Nikon N55 focusing problem

jeff_damhoff1

I'm wondering if one problem has morphed into another.

How did you 'pull the film'? Did you initiate a mid-roll rewind?

I have not played with a 55, but some of the AF Nikon bodies I have played with get 'really fussy' about pulling the film out in mid-roll, or more specifically interrupting the rewind before the camera thinks it is 'done'. You can get trapped in this 'state' where the camera thinks it still has film in it, and it really does not want to 'take up' a new roll.

First solution is to initiate a rewind in the empty camera and let it run its course. This seems to get the camera back to a 'known state'. Other things I have read include removing batteries for like 48 hours; or initiating a 'factory reset' if your camera has one.

> If not, I recommend a local authorized Nikon repair shop.

Sorry, but I think if the camera is defective, there is no point getting it repaired.

There's absolutely no shortage of used film cameras dumped on the market, replaced by

DSLRs. Use the opportunity to buy a DSLR, or pick up a used film body for much less than the

cost of any repairs. N80's (a much more capable camera than the 55) are going for a little

over $100. F100's under $400. Incredible but true.

> Sorry, but I think if the camera is defective, there is no point getting it repaired.

That is a great suggestion for Jeff...My comment was where to get it fixed. I do own the N55 and would consider fixing it over buying another one. Even with my D70s, I still find great uses for the N55.

So, Jeff, ask your self if the repair cost out weighs buying a new/used replacement. You might even be able to upgrade for the cost of the repair. Also consider going digital. (I think this is what Robert was suggesting).