Nikon D50 + Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D AF

How do I use a Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D AF on a D50 body when I want to set

aperture? I am thinking of buying the 28mm f/2.8D AF but it has an aperture

ring on it. Do I have to turn this ring in order to set the f/stop? Does it

have a function or do I just set the f/stop on the camera body? Your help is

appreciated, thanks.

I believe the following info is in the D-50 manual, on different pages perhaps, but there never the less.

<p>Look at the lens, itself. There is a sliding aperture lock. If it is unlocked, in <i>white</i>.   Close down the aperture to f/22.   Notice that this f stop is marked in <i>burnt orange</i>.   Now slide the aperture lock downward into its own burnt orange position. The lens is now ready to use.</p>

<p>You'll never need to adjust that aperture at the lens again when using a D-50.</p>

<p>On the D-50, you use the thumb wheel to adjust the aperture when shooting in the <u>aperture</u> <u>preferred</u> <u>AE</u> <u>mode</u>.</p>

<p>The <u>manual</u> <u>exposure</u> <u>mode</u> on the other hand requires you to set the aperture, by first holding down the exposure compensation button, and then dial your desired aperture via thumb wheel. Once you release this exposure comp button, the thumb wheel allows you to set the shutter speed.</p>

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

i have the same camera and lense .i had the lense originally bought for use with a n2000 .u can use this lense 2 ways either set the d ring @ 22 (u can lock it on 22 if u want but not necessary) or u can shoot in manual (the switch located about 5 o'clock facing the camera front).i love this lense and it is a favorite of mine .enjoy.