Hoodman?

peter_white2

B&H is selling a Hoodman for the 20D and another for the 300D. Has

anyone used these? They look helpful. It protects the LCD screen most

of the time. When you need to use the scren, it flips up and provides

some shade. Is there a GOTCHA? I can't see a downside to this. And if

it makes it easier to see the screen in sunlight, why not use it?

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/flip_up.asp#canon

Thanks,

There's a minor gotcha. You have to flip the shade up before you can look at the LCD after

taking a picture. It's not that big of a deal, but I found it annoying.

The Hoodman for the 300, by the way, doesn't quite work on the 350. It's just a little big

and blocks some of the screen and some of the controls.

I agree, I was looking at getting one of these, but I usually check out the LCD after every 2-3 shots or as the camera previews them. This means that I would be constantly opening the Hoodman, and closing it quickly, to get the next shot. This seems like too much of a hassle for quick shooting and quick checking. This is the only problem I see, but it depends on your shooting style.

Think about your shooting style and whether flipping it open and close would bother you or not.

(I did by some PDA/Palm screen protectors for the LCD, helps protect it from some scratches/scuffs.)

Amol

FWIW Hoodman also make a transparent stick-on LCD cover for the 20D and drebels, that is similar looking to the ones that Nikon provides with its cameras. My personal experience with this item has not been so great. Basically it has a sticky gasket to hold it in place, which is too thick and like treacle will slide around over time and under pressure.

Score one to Nikon for providing cheap and effective protection for their LCD screens.