sure that the fuzziness is caused by the surface of the green glass

(plastic?) being scratched or damaged.

Here's the question - I would like to replace or just remove the

green glass to improve the view. Can someone please explain the

removal / replacement of the oval plate which covers the

rangefinder, or point out where to find instructions? It looks

straightforward enough except that the film counter disc seem to be

screwed partly to it.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Hi John:

<br><br>

Here are some notes on it: <a href="http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-86.html">Argus C3 Notes</a>

<br><br>

The best way to get into the rangefinder is to take the front off... trying to pull the rangefinder off upwards is not as straightforward as it would seem. Once you have the front off, the rangefinder is easily removed for cleaning and you have good access to all of the other stuff too. Be sure to take this opportunity to clean the inside surfaces of all of the lenses in the viewfinder - you'll be amazed at how nice and bright this finder is when it's clean.

<br><br>

By cleaning and relubricating the rangefinder dial and the lens helical, it's possible also to make it focus so easily that you can use the dial as a finger wheel like you would in a rangefinder Contax or Nikon..... though I doubt that they ever worked this smoothly when new.

<br><br>

rick :)=

Ideally, you'd like to disassemble the finger wheel and thoroughly clean it. If i recall correctly, the screws holding it together are hidden under the footage scale which is glued onto the front.

there is a sketch for disassembling the lens on the web page.

Once you have all of the old grease out of both the finger wheel and the focus helical and everything is squeaky clean, you can relube it to your taste. Using a white lithium grease, or a silicone lens helical lube if you're feeling fancy, you can restore it to something like what it would have been like when new. if you want it to run more freely, use a little grease and thin it with oil. don't overdo it. some of the oil may migrate out over the years, but if you don't go crazy with it it won't do that for a long time.

I had one of these feeling almost like a Contax with a bit of cleaning.....

Hi,

Well, if your rangerfinder window is just dirty, start by pulling out the ring retaining the rangerfinder glasses on the back of the C3 (back open). Use a very little screwdriver, beware to not break precious glass !

It would be one or two circular glass(es).It depends of version. When two glasses are used, a black tube is inserted between them. Beware of position !! Flat surfaces must be external (Am I clear ?)

You may have to strike a little the C3 on your open hand to make them go out.

Use windows cleaner and kitchen paper. Dry them.

After, you have to dismantle the rangefinder mecanism. Two screws are visible on the top. You have to unscrew view counter too (beware, springs and discs !). Maintain film sprocket with another screwdriver to unlock screw.

Then, all the windows (green and clear), are accessible. Use same cleaner. You can depose a very little amount of WD40 on the interior of rangefinder wheel, and make it turn, to "spray" oil all around.

Beware when cleaning mirrors, glue can be tired, don't loose them...

You have just to put rangefinder mecanism back into its place. Stop film sprocket with your finger in order to screw film counter back on place. You'll have to push on it to perform it !

Lately, put out finder glass (as rangefinder glass), and clean it. You can clean the other glass too, with cotton tips, through the finder. If focus is hard, it may be cause the lens is "dry". Unmount lens, find the little screw situated at the base, and traveling into a aligned hole. Put one drop of WD40 into the hole. Turn lens, in both directions to dispatch oil.

You can put one or two oil drops in the threading of the copper ring, inside the lens back. Beware: don't put oil on glass !!

After several lens turn, clean with cotton tips. It must be black(old oil an dust). Put oil again, turn lens again, and again. It MUST be smooth to turn now. Mount the lens back on the body, it should work as new.

All my C3 has been treated as described, and ALL work fine now !

All the process takes 1 hour the first time, cause you must be careful and soft. After, with training, it's much more fast !

I've some pictures taken during this kind of process, if you are interested by, just let me know, I'll send them to you.

Stephane, French Argus Fan

PS : I hope my english is good enought, excuse me for my mistakes...

Last thing,

I rather pull the rangefinder out instead of front, because, when you put the front off, you have to unscrew the hidden screws. To make that, you must cut the leatherettte...

It's really dangerous ! You risk to torn leatherette...

It's up to you !

It's true that rangefinder could be hard to pull out (cause the rangefinder mecanism arm, which push on the wheel). But, if you take your time, you'll got it, trust me !!

Sincerely

Stephane