Largest Group Shot??

anner

Hi all,<br>

<br>

I'm quickly approaching an event job that will require me to take a group shot of 150

people- attempting to make them all visible in the image. I have a few questions for you..

<br>

~What is the largest group you've taken?<br>

~How did you organize the people?<br>

~What was your lighting set-up?<br>

~Do you have an example to share?<br>

<br>

What I've come up with so far is the possibility of splitting them into two groups to create

two panoramic images that can be stacked on top of each other for one print (this is what

their previous photographer did), or I can try to create 4 rows of 30ish, using chairs as

risers (I see a liability issue here), or I can shoot from a balcony into a loosely organized

frame of people. My style is casual, and they are aware of this, so I don't need to create

the traditional posed image that they've had in the past. I'd prefer the balcony shot,

myself, but I'm also afraid some people will get lost in the crowd. Also- what do you thnk

about taking closer frames of sections in the crowd and then piecing them together with

photo-stitch software?<br>

Thanks!

I've never shot a group that big, but...

1.) Try to shoot from above

2.) Command everyone's attention and work quickly

3.) Tell them they need to be able to see your lens or you cant see them.. make sure they get this and keep their attention on you.

4.) Use the longest focal length possible while still keeping everyone comfortably in the frame, to avoid distortion (front row looks like giants, back looks puny).

hope this helps...

This is the largest group shot I've got handy. At 511 pixels wide, it doesn't jump out at you, but the same file with a few hundred megabytes printed 17 inches wide is a sight. The image was taken in open shade, Mamiya 7II, 65mm lens, Fuji NPZ at E.I. 400, one SB-80DX flash on a bracket over the lens for fill.

For 150 people you are going to want to rent risers. Also, you'll want to shoot medium format.<div>00D6BV-24999884.jpg.dcb17aef16b463907d5c2bdb907fb84d.jpg</div>

You've got a balcony???? Super!!! Get em close, looking at the camera and animate with a wave, thumbs up, or shouting "Love, Love, Love"...of course I'm assuming this is a wedding reception shot. I love my PS but I'm not a fan of stitching photos together..Alot depends on the limitations you've got in the way of space at your venue. This same shot can be pulled off (time permitting) from the church balcony.... If you can, slave a couple of flashes about 10-15 feet to your right and left and try to match the same power output, this gives you a nice flat lighting but also assumes you're shooting more down than out....Crowd control can be more a problem than lighting. The earlier in the event you can do it makes it easier than competing with alcohol. I've had some terrific DJs that made great assistants at times like these....

Look at the following thread.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00B5iJ

Plus there have been others on this forum. Do a search.

The largest group was about 200-250 people in a church, but the setup won't work for you because these folks wanted to be photographed sitting in their pews at a real service (from behind the pulpit), and every face needn't be seen.

Otherwise, next largest was about 120 or so people, a church choir, where I used a two light set up, medium format.

In your situation, the least trouble would be from the balcony above, especially if your shots doesn't have to be formal. David's suggestions would work well. The people need not be lost in the crowd with a little care on your part. Otherwise, your other plan would work OK too. Me, I wouldn't do the stitching idea unless I was really good at it.

Outdoors - 2500 people, 8X10, Use the sun, Chruch dedication ceremony final printe was 48 by 120 inches.

Indoors - 900, 4X5, 4800w/s into a softbox 3ft above camera, final print was 36 by 72

Organization - strong commanding voice (drill sargent) and law enforement background helped.

Do not have permission to post examples, check link from Nadine above for my previous pointers.