Stopped using Photo.net till iPod goes

...or keep using anything with ads. but don't buy anything, then they might realise they don't work (not on me anyway, unless I want something, how do I know I want something, ads I suppose, gad an infinite loop) Use an ad blocker. In a computer glossary 'Loop, see loop'

Today is the first day I had an ad pop up in my face on photo.net. Surprised the crap out of me because I rarely see pop-up ads at all. It popped up, did it's little song-and-dance and then shrunk to the top bar of the screen. Neato. Bummer.

<i> Anyone else like me who has stopped using photo.net till the iPod ad goes ?</i><p><p>

If you stopped using photo.net, how do you hope to see the answers to your question?<p><p>By the by, I had no trouble putting down $20 annually for the use of photo.net, when the ads were limited to innocuous text-only banners. Even graphical ads don't bother me overly much, provided they aren't animated (shudder).<p><p>

If I ever see a pop-up while I'm logged on as a donor, though, I've payed my last.

I never see ads on my PC. Firefox 1.0.5 and the ad blocking in my Security/Firewall package seem to take care of it all.

I have stopped seeing any tribalfusion activity lately as well. (Used to see their URL flickering at the bottom of the browser a lot but my activity reports show no attempts any more.)

I dont know how that happened.

I wonder if the ads are somehow context sensitive. For example, of the main screen I have a banner ad (from google) talking about Toronto photographers (among others. It is variable.) and at the bottom of all of the forum screens there has been a persistent ad for Photographer PT Potter from Hamilton, Ontario (also with its source in Google). At the bottom of this very screen as I write this posting there are menu items insinuated into the internal Photo.net links. I don't think 'Disaster Recovery', 'Concert Tickets', Discount Bridesmaid Dresses' have much to do with Photo.net's main purpose. and, as much as I might be interested in "Excellent reviews of...Laptop/Notebook Computers" sponsored by DigitalAdvisor.com (which is a pure sales site posing as a review site.)

That 'sponsor' line seems to change as well...sometimes it is called 'Camcorder HQ' which looks remarkably similar to the 'DigitalAdvisor' site...you would think they were run by the same bunch of sleeze balls.

>>Anthony Brookes , jul 18, 2005; 12:13 p.m.

Anyone else like me who has stopped using photo.net till the iPod ad goes ?<<

Wow. You sure have posted a lot and for a long time not to consider this site worthy of the subscription price. I have a hunch PN will survive without you.

I paid my dues recently and still get ads, though not popups. I get the bar at the right

with Adorama for example and all the Google stuff. I didn't pay up to get rid of that but

rather that I have had so much help and enjoyment from the forum. It's a real bargain as

far as I'm concerned.

But I shouldn't be getting any ads now, should I?

You can use firefox, download the adblock plugin, I see no ads with photo.net at all.

Also you could stop using the internet, watching TV, movies, looking at buses, billboards, or anything else with an ad on it.

yeah thats the ticket.

-Joe