My budget will allow for the D200 and one lense at this time. I

have a N80, a Nikor AF28-80MM 1:35-5.8D and a AF ED 70-300mm 1: 4-

5.6D lenses. I'm not likely to use both cameras at once. I assumed

I would buy the D200 body and a D 12-24mm f 4.6 ED IF lense.(vs the

D200 Kit including the 18-70 lense. I would like to then use the

three lenses on the D200 and the N80. I understand the lenses will

work with both cameras but I don't know how user friendly a digital

lense is with a film camera and visa versa. I take family, sports

and vacation photos. Any thoughts / Suggestions.

Hanz B

Seattle, WA

DX lenses produce an image circle designed to cover only the center portion of the 35 mm frame. That's why they can be produced in shorter focal lenghts.

So even if you can mount a DX lens on your film camera you'll see severe vignetting on your negatives.

Ignacio

Don't get a DX lens if you plan to use it on both film and digital bodies. Look into a Nikon

18-35/3.5-4.5 AF-D. It won't be as wide as the 12-24, but you can use it either as an

18-35 on the N80 or a 27-52 on the D200. And it'll be a lot less expensive. It's a good

affordable wide zoom.

I say go for the better lens than the better camera. For general use, a D50 will not take much different photos than a D2X. The difference is the ease of use, WB, ISO settings, tougher body, faster shutter speeds and many other functions etc. but for great photos you need vision and lenses more than a great body.

I believe all of Nikon's cameras are great for general use. Of course if you have a specific use or need (i.e. superior focusing ability) or shoot in raw format then d200 should be perfect. It is a great camera.

However, you will pay $1000 extra by choosing D200 over D70 and with that money you can get at least one top quality lens. I would personally go for the fastest lens available for daily use and steer clear from an f/4 but this is the viewpoint of an amateur who shoots almost daily.

Anyway, you will not go wrong with Nikon so get what you want and enjoy it :-)

Hanz,

Be aware that there are compatibility issues with the D50/D70 and some older Nikkors, so either check if the ones you have are compatible or go straight for the D200.

Perhaps in your shoes I would go for the 12-24 DX even if it won't work on your film camera. You'll find yourself using film very little once you go digital.

Hope this helps!

Ignacio

With what you have already I would buy the Tokina 12 to 24mm lens. Thats going to be my next lens. Right now in my kit I carry my F5 with my 20 to 35mm Tokina just so that I have wide angle covage. I use a D70 for the rest of my shooting. Having gone digital I dont want to go back, no more scaning, I love it.