First slide film on the Mamiyaflex

Bill - If you are price sensitive like me...see what The Camera Store has left in Agfa...it is 20% off, and about the cheapest 120 I can find - I think I paid $3.83 for mine. I know the Velvia is nice and I will be getting some eventually as well... ;)

Have fun!

I'm always being encouraged to shoot transparency, but I simply can't justify the cost. While I can find expired or discounted slide film to shoot, my lab will kill me with $8 a roll to develop - mounted or not.

I stick to color print film and B&W, the latter being developed at home.

In 35mm my local store is offering Sensia 100 for $9.99 CND including processing and mounting. This is an excellent deal but for the freezer of expired Provia 100F I'm currently burning through. For 120, I buy my film in bulk from places like B&H for about $3 USD a roll. My local lab costs only $6.50 CND for 120 slides, of course not mounted. 35mm actually costs more, $9.50 CND mounted. For comparision, 36 exp C-41 with proofs costs about $16 CND, though I could go a lot cheaper if I visit the crappy places to get muddy proofs and scratched negs.

Whats important to me is that I get them back undamaged as faithful self proofs. I know opinions vary but I have a bear of a time scanning C-41 colour correctly. I need to get a handle on manually inverting colour print film like I do with B&W.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

CE Nelson- too bad about your prices...I guess I am lucky, the place in town does 120 slide (unmounted) for $5.99 next day service. However I don't have a MF slide projector...and prints from slides are more expensive than from negs. Right now I consider it just a test...if I get a MF scanner that may change :)

It is the 35mm that kills me.....cheapest slide film I can find is $6.50 per roll (24 exp).

I am certainly a cheapskate.....my goal is to get film + developing for under $10 no matter what format.....doesn't work for b/w however ;)

Andre - It makes my day to see Mamiyaflex in the subject line. I shot two rolls of B&W yesterday at a small town parade with my C. If I had seen your great color results before I left, I'm sure I would have shot a roll of color too. What lens and f-stop did you use for the shot of your kids? Was it the 80mm your C was originally sold with? I'm curious if the very early Mamiyaflex interchangable lenses have a different "look" compared with the later black shutter versions.

Many of the parade pictures I did yesterday were shot using the sports finder built into the the waist level finder. I think that is the frame for the 80mm lens and I was using a 65mm, so it will be interesting to see what actually shows up on the negatives. I also used the focus lock on the C so I could prefocus and not worry about the focus changing.

Leonard...I have 2 lenses for the 'C' - the 80mm f2.8 and the 135mm f4.5. I have found that I am shooting 95% with the 80mm. They are both the 'chrome' lenses that may people say are the bottom of the barrel when compared to the later 'black' lenses. I don't know if they are the original lenses - but I think they would be. I did not record the settings for my shot of the kids - but I would have to say that it was probably f5.6 or f8. I will need to try out the focus lock - I did not know it was there until you mentioned it in your response (on May 30) to my post entitled 'inspired'.

How do you like your 65mm? I was wondering if I should start saving for something wider....

Leonard - From my understanding, stock waist level finders for Mamiya TLRs allow for both 80mm lenses and 65mm lenses. On my finder, there is an inner and outer frame on the sports finder. Pushing down the inner frame lets you shoot with an 80mm lens. Pushing down both the inner and outer frame should let you shoot with a 65mm lens. Gently taps the sides of the waist level finder to return the frames to their origional position. To use the sports finder with longer focal lengths, you need to purchase additional frames which lock into the clips on the front of the waist level finder.

Andre - I originally had a black 105mm and a chrome 65mm. For things like car shows and places with people walking around getting in the way, I tended to use the 65mm since I could get closer to the subject. I then made an eBay impulse purchase of a black shutter 65mm largely because "they" say the black lenses are "better". I have yet to compare the two versions, although I'll get around to it one of these days. Even if the newer lens turns out to be sharper or have more contrast, I may prefer the chrome one, especially after seeing your picture of your kids. I only recently got an 80mm (black as it happened), with a C2 and a "chimney" viewfinder. I suspect if I had started with an 80mm as my only lens, I would have gotten along quite well. If you are getting what you want with your 80mm, stick with it.

Bill - I've seen pictures of the dual frame sportsfinder, but I guess it came on newer M'flexs. My C, C2, and even C220 all have just a single frame. The dual frame would be really handy. Looking at the negatives I shot Saturday using the 80mm sportfinder frame with a 65mm lens, it seems to have worked pretty well. I remember seeing things too tight in the 80mm frame, but thinking the 65mm lens would catch more. For the most part that was the way it happened.