Such a stupid thing happened. Tough lesson learned.

photochick

My friends and husband have been telling me not to undersell myself or price

too low, if someone will not pay my price, simply do not do the job. Well,

today I had a lady e-mail me. She was a guest at the wedding I did last

weekend. She wanted to book my top package (2150.00$). I am already booked

that day, doing an East Indian engagement party for.... $200.00!!!! How

awful. Of course, I am doing the engagment, but I am kicking myself over and

over about this. So, lesson learned. If someone doesn't want to pay, simply

don't do the job. Much better to work less and make more. If you are semi-new

to photography like myself, please learn from my mistake so you don't go

through what I am. :).

Understandable, but you can't know the future. The old saying "a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush." I would have booked the engagement party as well. The only reason to NOT have booked the engagement party is if you set a certain minimum $ that you want to bill at, and you don't need the revenue.

Perhaps, if you do a really, really great job at the engagement party, the couple will book you for your top package for their wedding. And perhaps, the couple will be so happy with your work that they will refer 5 or 10 couples to you for future work.

I did a wedding for free six months ago for someone I met who was really nice but could not afford a 'real' photographer. She ended up buying an album at my regular price. I June, I photographed her brother's wedding at my regular price. They also bought an album.

I learned a lesson too. Sometimes it is much better to work for less because more often than not, in the long run, you will meake more.

I have a chance to shoot an East Indian wedding in September as a second shooter and for no pay.

I'm grateful and will turn down a wedding if offered so that I can spend the entire day shooting the Indian wedding.

That won't help pay the bills but it may ease the pain: be sure to Enjoy the engagement party to the fullest. Great your "revenge" by shooting with passion for their engagement party!

Thanks guys! That all makes sense. I am definitely happy about the East Indian thing as I don't have any multi-cultural pictures yet, and that would open me up to different types of weddings. They are getting married out of my area, so I am definitely not doing their wedding pics, but even so, the client is my banker and knows many many people...

That can be galling of course, but you can never know. I was booked for a wedding in July on the date that another mother of the bride had been vasillating over for weeks. As a token gesture I referred the wedding to another photographer I knew - a young guy who has been assisting a fairly big local photographer. He agreed to do it, but only wanted to get a (relatively) small shooting fee, as he didn't want the hassle of putting an album together and dealing with the clients afterwards. A big lightbulb went off in my head at that point. Everything worked out great, and I was paid for 1 3/4 wedding's while only shooting one that day.

Just a thought, but this might be an opportunity to make lemonade.

We no longer book anything but weddings on Saturdays and Sundays for this very reason.

Portraits, parties, events, etc., are only scheduled with the understanding that one of our

assistants may be asked to shoot it should a wedding come up. Sorry that happened to you

though!

Iメm glad you didn't sell out and instead did the honourable thing. You'll sleep better. Not everything is about cash.

The universe has its way of rewarding and punishing these choices.

I had a make up artist I was using regularly phone me the night before we had a shoot and cancelled on me. It wasn't a big shoot, just an actor headshot, 45 mins of her time that doesn't pay much. She had a call for a day on a tv commercial and that would pay three times the amount. So, the last minute, she chose to bail on me for the bigger day. At 9pm, the night before I'm sending out bcc emails to other make up artisits and couldn't get anyone. I consequently had to cancel the gig. A year later she spots me at a coffee shop and sits and smoozes and says she's not busy when the city is exploding with work and she's been seeing my work out there and asks me why I don't book her anymore. You should have seen her eyes when I told her that her short sighted choice of bailing on me and leaving high and dry over a few hundred dollars not only cost her thousands in the bank down the road but also in referrals and networking.

A commitment is a commitment. Good on you for keeping it.

I love weddings that are not the "standard" fare. I've shot an Indian Hindu ceremony (renewal of vows...so it was ceremony light ;) ) and a Laotian Buddhist ceremony. Both were absolutely amazing in the differences of procedures and authentic dress of the participants!!!

You'll have a great time, and great opportunities to put some wonderful shots in your portfolio. Good luck!

I feel for your financial pain, but agree with a few of the above posters that the Indian wedding will be a fabulous experience. Maybe not as financially rewarding (at least initially), but I think that you will get so much more out of it than your contract price. I work with many Indians, and the culture and traditions at these weddings will astound you. In India the celebrations go on for days, with sometimes over 1000 people. It will be a visual and cultural smorgasbord that you will never forget. Good luck!