Canon 70-200 f4L upgrade to Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO IF HSM?

Hello,

I'm currently using the Canon 70-200mm F4L lens and was wondering if

it was worth selling it and getting the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO.

I shoot sports, weddings, portraits and landscapes. I know having a

faster lens will definitely help in stopping motion while shooting

sports, and will be very handy in dimly lit churches. I was mainly

wondering if the quality of the Sigma is comparable to the "L" quality

of the Canon. Right now I can't afford getting the more expensive

Canon 2.8L or 2.8L IS lenses.

Can folks who've tried both the F4L and the Sigma 2.8 let me know

their experiences?

Jamison

There are objective reviews of both lenses at <a href="http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html">http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html</a>. I can't comment on the optical quality (check photozone), but the build quality of Sigma's EX lenses is superb, so that should not be a worry for you. In a few months I will have to make the same choice, and the only reason I'd go for the f/4 is the significant weight and size difference.

Jamison,

IMHO, I'd keep the f/4 zoom for outdoor activities and pick up a couple of fast primes for those 'dimly lit church' situations. Any dimly lit church I've been in and flash is not an option is too dim for an f/2.8 lens using ISO 800. My EF 70-200 f/2.8 most often stays at home when I'm shooting available light in a church or volleyball in a gym. Instead I use 35, 50, 85 and 135 primes for that extra stop or more of light.

Third party lenses have been a problem for me in years gone by so now I only purchase Canon.

a 28-70 isn't terribly useful for indoor weddings on a 1.6x camera (assuming that's what you have). It's a bizarre range. I use that range for studio portraits only.

Everyone I've talked to, and every review I have read claims the 70-200 2.8 Sigma is an excellent lens. It's optical quality easily competes with Canon's L equiv.

I certainly would rather have that lens, than miss tons of shots fumbling around with 3 or 4 different prime lenses. Most pro's I know use good quality zooms.

The only reason I can think of the F4L having an advantage is portability... that's about it.

When you think about it.. all you need is two lenses: a 17-40 (or 17-70 sigma or 17-85 canon) and a 70-200 2.8

I enjoy using my 10-20mm also for those wide ambience shots. The slow f-stop 4.5-5.6 range isn't that much of an issue with super wide angle.

I have sold my Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX HSM (and got Canon 70-200/2.8 IS). The only reason was that my hands (sadly) are not as shake free as they used to be...

Optically it is a match for Canon's glass, maybe only slightly softer at f2.8 and minimum focusing distance (which is not how most of the pics would be taken anyway). It is a superb lens, I can only highly recommend it. And the build quality is excellent.

I like the idea mentioned by someone above, keep the zoom and get a prime. For what the transition would cost you, you could buy a superfast prime lens like the 50/1.8 or even 85/1.8. Lens selection depends on what camera you are using. If 1.6x DSLR then prehaps the 28/2.8 which you can handhold at 1/30 if you are careful. For church interiors I found 50 on film okay but 85 would have been better. Do weddings with two bodies if you can.