How much do you edit?

jayme wier

I recently shot a quinceanera. The shots were done at a local park and the

lighting was beautiful...(which was amazing). I'm happy with the way the pics

turned out but I feel weird leaving a lot of them un-edited. I did some bw

conversions and played around with a few others. I did a few touch ups on pics

that needed them. Is it ok to leave the rest straight from the camera? I'm

attaching one of the photos that I would leave alone. Do you agree or should I

do more with this pic? I appreciate your suggestions in advance!

Jayme<div>00HXaF-31551984.jpg.1c45377f32a588c0b6532b8384e103b0.jpg</div>

Especially if you're using a digital camera, almost every shot can use a little warming over. I gave your shot a contrast boost, burnt the distracting background highlights, and dodged the subject's face. Took about 2 minutes, and a fairly big improvement. Mild touch ups like this can be the difference between okay and striking.<div>00HXbL-31552684.jpg.5554ade1f8c2c35852ee6f0095b027c7.jpg</div>

Back in Ancient Times when Film RULED you told the client "these are just proofs". Then when they got their order of "finished pictures" they could see the difference. With digital I can understand maybe coming up with a couple of fully corrected images to show what can and will be done. Beyond that you're probably just wasting time.

Is it ok to leave the rest straight from the camera?

Depends on what you're planning to do with them next. Are you going to print any? Give them to the client on a CD? Most every image can benifit from at least some levels adjustment and sharpening. With some batch actions it doesn't really need to take all that long.

That's a nice image Jayme. But flat in tonal quality. If most of the work is like that, I'd

batch correct some contrast into all of them. Not much, just enough to make the images

sing a little more.

Editing has a different meaning to me. To edit is to eliminate or separate good/better/best

and eliminate those not to be seen.

Processing is what you are talking about I think. If you shot on film the machine

processing at labs would balance out each image on an average basis. RAW digital files can

be batch processed in this manner, and jpgs can be done using PS actions written for

different needs.

So, yes I would adjust the image you showed above, but not by itself ... if you do each one

separately you'd be at the computer for a month of Sundays.

For example, I shot a Corporate picnic yesterday and "Edited" down to 90 images from 130

shot. I then batch "Processed" 7 or 8 different groups of pics in ACR. Then sent all of them

to the PS "Image Processor" for conversion to 300 dpi LZW Tiffs at 3000 pixels (10") wide.

From there I selected a few tiffs for further retouching. I got home at 5 PM last night and

the whole job is done and being proofed.

Thanks for all of your input. Marc- a little bit of contrast is wonderful!

I have another question: When editing (as in culling through pictures to pick the best) what do you do with pictures that aren't up to par? Also, what do you do with pictures that are good but didn't make the # cut. I shoot digital and have not yet deleted any pictures for fear of wishing I had them later. However, eventually I am going to run out of space and it seems silly to keep pictures that I won't ever use. What is your policy?

Jayme,

It's a little flat...but if you have some that you have fixed up already. I'd leave the rest

alone...remember these are 'Proofs'. Explain that some you fixed up to show a finished

product...but most are still proofs.

Once they pick the ones they like....you'll fix them. that's just what i do....and if you let

them know they'll understand....and it will save you a lot of time and work.

Dave

Jayme,

To answer your question about which to keep and which to toss, its purely up to you. What I personally do, is make a single pass over my RAWs and completely delete any obvious blunders (accidentally hit the shutter, person got in the way on the dance floor,etc.) Then I make another pass and pull out all the top keepers and stick them in their own new sub folder. All the images that are decent, but not in the "show to customer" pile, I just keep them where they are, the originals folder. Every once and a while I will scan back through and see if anything new jumps out at me... sometimes that happens!

Thanks for all of your help and advice! I will let you know what they think of the proofs. I upped the contrast a bit and was pleased with the results. There is still SOOO much for me to learn- but that's the fun in this field! I appreciate the time you all have given to help me on the way.

Jayme

• 4 weeks later...