Boxing proof photos

schnellimages

Once again, another question around proofs. What are the thoughts on providing

proofs in a box to clients? Typically, I have somewhere around 500 or more

final images, and it just seems to many to give in one huge book, or several

smaller books. I know that some do the boxed prints and I am wondering if that

might be a better way to go.

Are several proof books acceptable in your collective opinion though?

Thanks for any advice.

Bob

500 is a large amount of prints to look through. My packages allow for 250 - 700 proofs,

and I've used boxes for about 12 years now. They are not only convenient for us as the

photographer, but for the B&G as they can spread the images out on a large table for better

grouping and viewing. From the feedback I've received, the brides do love the convenience

of the box, and they like being able to share extra prints with friends and family. One tip,

make sure it is a nice box with high quality presentation (nice ribbon, outer packaging, etc)

because after all, it is still a box.</p><a href="http://www.donhillstudio.com">Don</

a><br><a href="http://donhillstudio.blogspot.com">blog</a>

I forgot to mention that I do utilize multiple boxes for proofing. My wedding boxes are a

clamshell design (easy to remove prints) and hold 250 prints each. For smaller jobs, I have

smaller boxes - but I have not found an affordable clamshell box, so I wrap the proofs in

black ribbon to assist the client in removing the prints from the small standard box.

I use boxes, all black. I wrap the photos in tissue paper, can be a pain at times because my boxes are the perfect size for 4x6 prints, but it looks nice and worth the extra time it takes. Ribbons is a good idea, though, never thought much about difficulty getting them out of the box. I feel there are too many prints to put in an album, I have yet to find a nice/affordable proof album to hold enough prints. The boxes are nice and keep my costs low.

I include a full set of printed proofs (usually in the realm of 350-600 depending on the event) with each package, which I present to the bride and groom in a custom proof box personalized with their names and wedding date. I order mine through Cypress Albums. Here's a recent example of one of my proof sets and boxes:

http://www.kimlongphotography.com/Presentation/album/

They have several fabrics and ribbons to choose from and I let the couple decide on their colors. So far they seem to make a very nice impression on everyone. It works for me right now.

Thanks to all, your responses make me feel better about my thinking. I definately would go with a nice box and presentation as well.

Kim, thank you as well for the slideshow link. I particularly like the border on all your proof prints. I assume this is something you do in PS? I am blatantly fishing here, so please forgive.

Bob

I put about 150 prints in each black box. I order from Michel Co. http://www.michelcompany.com/ About $2 per box. Comes with those gold cord bows. I am thinking about going with red ribbons.

I'm looking for some small elegant shopping bags to put them in. I hate to send them out the door juggling little boxes.

I think clients like to sort through the proofs and put them in little piles on their kitchn table - rather than flip through a proof book.

The large Cypress box can hold several hundred proofs (I want to say it's 800 or some ginormous amount). The medium holds up to 500. A lot of proofs, in other words. ;-) The borders are printed, yes- no mounting of proofs. You could do it in PS, but I just have the lab print them that way. Or white borders. Whatever seems to best complement the wedding shots. I don't include albums with my packages (they can purchase an album, but it's not included), but I wanted to offer a full set of finished proofs to keep (and show people) in a more formal presentation.<div>00Hb4Q-31664284.jpg.afadc4a8c79b7877b4838d1036c80407.jpg</div>

May I strongly suggest using the high capacity proof books from www.michelcompany.com WITH order sheets... 1 to 3 books... No biggie..

Those order sheets along with the wedding nicely put together in sequential order makes it easer for clients to order and to put together an album.

I even got a hugh order from a friend of a bride that had about 600 images in a photo box. They'd gotten things "out of order".. Also given some images away with no record of what they gave away. Too overwhelming to put an order together plus stuff was missing.

He wants me to "do what I did for Jamie"...(my bride)

Reprint the entire weekend wedding (with permission from the photographer) and do sequential proof albums WITH order sheets because he sees how it will be easier to order prints and decide on how to put the images together for an album. (uh - two wedding albums, two parent albums plus reprints)

Couples have friends and family vist... They bring the albums to family and friends when THEY visit... Everyone sees the order boxes - ah..we can order some pictures! Then others see little check marks in the order boxes and then THEY get the idea that they could order too..

The couple.. each time they "show" the proofs - they are reminded that they better get an order together also because friends and family have ticked off what they want...because they see those marks every time they open the books.

I'm just suggesting....... But I have such an amazing track record with this that I don't care how cute the photo boxes are - it just isn't "order friendly" in my book.

Mary,

You have brought up the reorder point before, and I know that the folks at Michel Company have told me the same thing. I think the box has it's place. Some of my weddings this year were more on the 'budget' side of things, and I was cringing a little at the price of multiple proof books and such. I looked at the Topflight Maxi album - is this what you were referring to?

Thanks again.

My personal thinking on those books is that metal or plastic ring binders remind me of school or office binders....my opinion. I found these nice leather like albums at Ross discount store for $8.00. They came in many differant colors and differant designs on the front. Some were floral embossed other just smooth leather look. I love being able to arrange a spread on two pages.<div>00HbXq-31673084.jpg.f1420a5a06b694603a347325810b3c2b.jpg</div>

I use to use proof books but they suffered greatly with the handling of women with fingernails. I since moved to proof boxes. Man, I really wonder what all you show a client when you talk about showing 500 + prints, especially you people who are do digital correction yourself. I am still all film and max I have ever shown a client is 180 + prints, having taken maybe 240 or so. 500 + prints to me would just be too darn confusing.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...