Into the Canyon de Chelly

kuryan_thomas

I am planning a photo trip to, among other places, the Canyon de Chelly in the 3rd week

of October. I would like to spend 2 half days in the canyon itself: one half day in the

Canyon de Chelly and the other in the Canyon del Muerto. I am moderately physically

handicapped and so cannot do a long hike on foot. I'm renting a compact 4WD SUV at

Phoenix - a Ford Escape.

My questions:

1. I know I must hire a Navajo guide to "come with." How do I find one? Do the guides

understand the needs of photography nerds? Does anyone have any recommendations for

specific guides?

2. Is the Ford Escape OK or will I need something more rugged? I'm not comfortable

driving giant SUVs and this was the smallest 4WD SUV that Hertz offers at Phoenix.

Thank you very much.

Obi, check this NPS link: www.nps.gov/cach/ - 25k. I think it has most of the info you need. Both canyons are beautiful in the fall. That late in October, it will be chilly, especially early morning and late evening. The Escape will probably be OK, just make sure the insurance covers off-road trips in the canyon.

BTW, I think you'll find that you want more time!

You can find a guide at the entrance to the Park, or the people at Thunderbird Lodge can help you.The Park service also can help you .Your Ford 4wd should get you up the canyon without any problems.The Navajos use old green 2 1/2 ton trucks and they can pull you out if you get stuck.I walked down to White house ruin from the overlook a month after having knee surgery, the trail is not that steep . Have a great trip and if you get a chance go the the Spider Rock overlook at sunset.

Thanks all. I'll look into the rental contract. If they don't allow off paved road driving, what

are my options?

William: I am actually spending 3 days in Chinle, but I'm leaving myself time to drive the rim

roads and photograph downwards, as well as in the canyon itself.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Obi, chances are somewhat good that if the rental agreement specifies paved roads only (usually says "improved", not paved, and there is a difference) you can pay them more to take it on an non-compliant road. Worst case scenario, I believe there are a few rental agencies out there who rent jeeps and the like.

I believe that most of the guides prefer to drive you into the canyon in their vehicles. When I did mine, I did it thru the Visitors Center. I would contact the Visitors Center at CdC and speak to someone who can give you the way it works. Or call Thunderbird Lodge and ask to speak to someone their who is knowledgable about private tours. Since they run their own, that might be a problem. You can call the Holiday Inn or Best Western in Chinle and ask them the same question. Some allow you to camp in the canyon. That is something I would look into if that fits your style. Joe Smith

The guides can be contracted at the visitor center in the park. If you go through the lodge they'll try to steer you towards their guided tours which are crowded. The road into the canyon is not rough, the only issue is clearance. It's rutted sand from the creek so getting stuck is possible without enough clearance. Current SUV's, including the Escape, might bottom out. If possible get a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Xterra. Otherwise, cross your fingers but the guides will get you out if necessary. The guides are very sensitive to photo nerds. you certainly won't be their first. You can stop as often as you like for as long as you like, it's your dime. You can even rent a hogan in the canyon overnight with enough notice.

I posted on the subect of rental cars awhile back, before my mishap had played out. I can tell you for sure that standard car rentals forbid "off-road" driving and most forbid driving on "unpaved roads." I wrecked my rental car on a dirt road in Grand Staircase-Escalante NM and had to be towed out. Avis declared, in their accident and repair report, that I was in "breach of contract." However, my insurance company paid for the damage, less deductible, and my platinum Visa credit card paid for the towing charges -- $600! -- loss of use fee and admin fee. I was out just the $250 deductible. Bottom line: check with your insurance company, credit card company and car rental company to see exactly what they cover before you go.

The rental agreement seems a bit restrictive out West, where in my recollection from my

1997 trip, there were lots of unpaved roads. In 1997 I drove them anyway, but I guess I was

in violation. But whatever - I guess nobody accused rental car agencies of wanting to serve

their customers.

If the guides use their own vehicles, I should be fine. I'll call the CdeC main office and ask.

A Ford Escape is not really a very sand worthy SUV. In a somewhat rough order of preferences: high clearance, locking axles, limited slip axles, big mud tires, 4 low, horsepower. The Escape doesn't really cut it for wet sand. The last time I was there an Explorer was stuck down to the tops of its wheels after it bogged down. Driving skill also plays a part it getting through tough spot.

Oh, unless it is really wet I think a Ford Escape would work just fine. I drove a rented Durango with street tires in the Canyon for 2 days last May just fine.

The guide I used was Daniel Tisaile Jeep Tours at the Holiday Inn. The guide would drive or allow you to drive. The cost was $20 per hour