Hi, I will try to make this story short. Last week I sent my 20D to the Canon

Service for a problem with the shutter button. They change it and the 20D is

with me again working like the first day. Up to here everything seems to be

fine, but after taking a couple of pics, when I download them to my PC, I

realize that the number of the pics were very different. When I sent the 20D I

was in the picture number IMG_1840 (11840), but after Canon the number was

IMG_9456. What happened here? It is possible that the Canon Service took almost

7000 pics in two days with my camera just for fixing the shutter botton? Of

course I'll ask them what happened, but first I want to read some of your ideas.

Many thanks!

AGUSTIN

Yep, sh!t happens. The same thing happened to me when I took my '65 Mustang to the

gargage for a tuneup. I merely reset the odometer and all was well. You can do the same.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Change the file numbering to "reset" (it's in the menu). Reformat your all your cards. Put one of them in the camera, and take a picture. Then change the name of that image file to the number you want, and while you're at it, change the folder name to the coresponding number. (You can do both with the CF card installed in any card reader that is attached to your PC with just about any file management program.) Reinstall your card and take another picture. Change the numbering back to "continuous" before reformatting your card.

If you don't reformat all your cards before you start, any one of them that was used in your camera after it was returned will probably reset your numbering to 9456, and you'll have to start over.

On the other hand, if you have a card that you have not used in your camera since getting it returned, but you did use not long before you sent it off, you can use that card to reset your camera. Just set the camera to "reset" and format all other cards. Change the camera back to "continuous" and insert your reserved card. Take a picture, and then reformat all the cards again.

Or you can just bag this whole idea since you can see how easy it is to change the numbering to anything you want, any time you want, and the ease of doing this makes the whole file numbering system meaningless.

Agustin,

I had a similar problem, when I mixed the ways how I download pictures (CF direct vs. via CANON SW). The CANON software utility maintains a runnning count, which you need to adjust as well. When I used a CF reader to move pix over, the SW did not increment count. Later when I returned to the SW, I got picture numbering out of synch.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Fredrik