24-85mm F2.8-4 or 24-120mm VR on D200

seanmalyon

Has anyone got any experience in comparing these two lenses on a D200 or D2x?

I'm looking to do some overseas trips with a D200 and a Nikon 12-24mm and want

another lens to go with it. It will be used for general travel shots including

portraits.

I've got an 18-70mm but don't like it, particularly the distortion at 18mm. I

also have to stop it down to get sharp images. So I'm looking for something

optically better than that.

I like the range of the 24-120mm and the VR, but the extra speed of the 24-85mm

also appeals. You can also pick up the 24-85mm secondhand for reasonable amounts.

So what's the general feeling: the 24-85mm or the 24-120mm? Or is there

something else I'm overlooking?

Neither lens is sharper than the 18-70 and both have distortion at 24mm that is similar to the 18-70 at 18mm.

If you want a sharper lens with less distortion, look at the 28-105 AF-D or a good 3rd party lens like the Tamron 28-75 f2.8.

There's no shortage of distortion on the 24-120 VR. I had one but found a new owner for it. < I'm looking for something optically better than that (18-70mm). > I don't think you're going to find better performance (at least not appreciably *better*) from either the 24-85 or 24-120. At best they are lateral moves and, quite arguably, downward, as the 18-70 has been well-received, excepting the distortion you mention. The 28-70/2.8 AFS is a very good alternative whose tag nearly outweighs the lens...from experience. I've no experience w/ the 28-105, generally regarded as an above-average performer, nor the 24-85 (2.8-4 D or 3.5-4.5 G AFS) but have not heard glowing reviews. Sample variation may be a contributing factor. I would be interested in hearing what others have to say about the 28-105...not to derail your post.

Absent the zoom, a couple fast primes might prove to be advantageous; light, compact, inexpensive and first-rate images...50/1.8 AF and 105/2.5 AI or AIS (will meter on both bodies) for starters.

I had the same "problem" and finally bought the AFS 24-85 F3.5-4.5 to pair with my 12-24/4.It has some distortion at 24mm but not at that level that it bothers me.It's very sharp and renders the colours very nicely.For me this is an ideal travelling lense;sharp and lightweight.

You may be overlooking the 35-70D 2.8, the design and optics go way back but I'm using a recently aquired one on a D2X and it rocks ! I bought and sold 24-85 3.5-4.5 and 24-120mm VR they did not rock, in a very soft rock bad Bokeh kind of way, the 35-70D 2.8 70mm end gives 105 2.5 type imagery (35mm equiv) with gorgeous sharp in and out of focus for portraits. Yes I know the focal range has never been fashionable but with a 12-24G at one end and an 80-200 2.8 at the far end you have pretty much all bases covered (IMO) Good Night all and Opus Dei