What to buy?

Poravich

If you wife allow you to buy a nice classic camera by not exceeding than

$25,000 USD which type and format would you guys gonna buy? Seriously.

Considering when you already have Hassy setup - only 80mm and 50mm.

Well, I don't expect things like BMW, Rolex and the likes, but a small studio

in the house is quite interesting.

Pat<div>00HMvq-31297084.jpg.9f1702dce58ec86cc442299074591d6b.jpg</div>

Do you really mean twenty-five THOUSAND dollars? Or, $2,500.?

If you intend to spend 25k, you probably ought to be a professional. And, in that case, you probably shouldn't be asking random/anonymous people for advice.

Seriously? If i HAD to spend that much loot on a system at this point, it would have to be the Hasselblad H2/digital. But, only if i had a thriving business, and only if i shot people/fashion/lifestyle/portraiture.

What do you shoot? And, why do you need/want a different system? Get a 150+tube or 120 Makro for your Hassy, plus a strobe system (Profoto), and a high end scanner and large format printer. Plus a Canon 5D, 3 primes, and there's your studio. Assuming you already have a Mac.....

Anybody who has been able to convince that beautiful woman to marry them doesn't need

advice from us!

[On the 1 to 10 scale, she's a 12+ in my view!]

As somebody else said, just spend the $$$ to keep HER happy--whether it's $2500 or

$25,000. To some people, $25,000 is "no big deal" at all, and if that's the case the

Hasselblad H1 or H2 system would be fine.

First, however is you want to get a 180mm for your regular 'blad, assuming it is a 503cw

or a 203. If not, trade up to these latest models of the 'blad analog system

AND, of course, BUY an SWC--either 903 or 905--if you don't have one. No serious 'blad

owner can say he's "serious" without owning an SWC. (That really goes without saying,

really. Some people will swear the SWC has the finest lens ever made and the photos

produced usually demonstrate that!

Poravich:

When I first saw this post I thought - who is this guy & did he sign up today - you've been around since 2003 - with that said ...

You have a Hasselblad setup - an 80 & 50 - I would consider getting a good lighting setup, backgrounds & even a darkroom if you don't have one.

Beyond that I would consider another body & also a longer lens or two & and extension rings as well.

As far as studio space is concerned - do it & you will not regret doing so.

Good Luck

Dear all,

Thanks for your kind reply. I really mean 25K.

However, I'm a die hard fan of classic cameras. So, I'm sorry to reject any of the new age DSLR.

Data back? Umm, not this time.

My type?

Quite simple; candid, protriat, landscape (outdoor- almost)

>> CPeter Jørgensen, thanks for the SWC, that's one of my choice but I do like ground glass to compose for MF.

>> Lee Hamiel, I don't have a baby now. But I hope to photograph my new born baby with BW in my own studio. This idea still interests me.

Does anybody mention about Leica M??? Any leica collectors among you guys? I used to have M6 TTL, but it's gone for a while, together with the G2 setup.

Should I restart the M system again? Now, I use Elmar LTM.

Pat<div>00HOxi-31351384.jpg.b11ba103f01decb5b192ebcd35a2dfa0.jpg</div>

Pat,

She hasn't changed much since 1949, huh?

Yes, I have a Leica system, more about that below.

SWC--you MUST get one if you are spending that kind of money. If you don't believe me

after a dozen rolls, just resell it using the classifieds on this Forum. You won't lose

anything in price.

YES on the ground glass composition! I too like it best and Hasselblad also thought about

it so they brought out a ground glass focusing system for the SWC with a snap-on

viewfinder. The whole thing is relatively inexpensive--$200 for the ground glass and

$250 for the viewer/hood. It's a quick-release system as it goes on in place of your film

back, using the same catch system. It is simple and fast to use; a great improvement

when using a tripod. Instead of the viewer you can use any one of the prism finders such

as the PM-45 or PM-90, including the metered versions. I've tried both approaches and

feel the hood works best.

Now, for the Leica. I have an M7 with all the lenses except the 75mm. The M7 has the

best auto exposure system I've ever seen in a Leica and is by far the best of the Leica

rangefinder cameras.

I have owned them all, starting with the IIIf and then IIIg, through the M-series. And, in the

M4, M6 and M7's I've owned two bodies, but in the M3, M2 era I had one of each at the

same time. I used them for newspaper and magazine work. I never did buy two M5's as

they were a kind of funky, out of place item.

Not long ago I sold my extra M7 because I don't do breaking news anymore and if I did I'd

use digital like everyone else. But I did upgrade all my lenses to the latest models over the

last three years., The current lenses are super!

I shoot 'chrome exclusively and your metering system has to be dead on to get good

results and the Leica M7 certainly has the best meter I've seen in a rangefinder including

the G2 which I also have. (It's for sale with 3 lenses.)

Last year at the county fair I walked around at night and shot two 36-frame rolls. There

were no poorly exposed shots, including a brighly lit Ferris Wheel against a totally black

night sky. That one night really convinced me of the M7's quality for something that

doesn't have a matrix metering system like the Nikon and Canon SLRs.

(I think that 1949 sweetheart might be too old for you; perhaps you can forward my email

address to her. Looks like just the right age for me!)

CPeter Jørgensen

Thanks for you kind advice. SWC is still interests me always. It'd reminds me when I use 21 mm Biogon Contax G in Quibec years ago. So, if I'm looking for a classic SWC, which one to buy?

It's interesting that you own many of LTM and M bodies, cos that is one of my plan to restart my Leica system again. BTW, Which one is your most preferable M?

Personally, I like to look old BW pictures taken by photo journalists in 50-60s. In your past career, how did you use M for your newspaper- Did you bring it together with your other SLR, or it is just your stand alone camera?

Thanks again for the nice response.

Pat

Brian Shaw,

>> "Buy a decent 150 for the Hassy. Use the rest of the money to take your wife on a nice vacation. Buy her lots of trinkets and toys. Treat her right and keep her happy. In the long run you'll get much more satisfaction from a happy wife than any photo equipment you buy."

Thanks Brian, simply short answer but those are words of wisdom! Would you also consider 250 mm, or 150 just works fine? Actuallly, I like its 150's small size.

Pat

Pat,

In answer to your above question, I went from using a Rollei E model TLR for 6 years to

replacing it with the Leica M2 with a 35mm wide angle lens, Heiland Strobonar flash and a

35mm Leitz brightline auxiliary finder for night work (that I still have.) Newspaper spot

news street work always required flash so for about 5 years I used a tall 3-cell Graphlex

Flashgun (same as on the 4x5 Speed Graphic) with a platform bracket on the Rollei. I used

#5 G.E. flashbulbs--some guys used #25 Sylvania bulbs--and I could change bulbs much

faster than the early strobe lights could recycle. Ten seconds was considered "fast" for

those strobes as some went 14 to 16 seconds,

I can't ever remember using anything but the f2 35mm Summicron lens on that Leica.

As I said in my earlier post, the M7 is the best Leica ever. Period--including the new

model MP. I also have a motor drive for my M7 if I need it.

I have the 903 SWC and would recommend that first, or the 905 SWC which has a slightly

different lens formula and is "almost" equal to the 903 in bench tests. Of course in the

field you'll never see the difference. The SWC is just the best all-around 6x6 camera. Next

to that, I'd get a Rolleiflex F model--I have three of them--as a universal, fixed lens, do

everything camera.

I hope this helps.

CPeter,

Could you show me your old picture taken by the speed graphic as well as yourself pic when holding that beast with the big flashbulbs in 1950s? I'd love to see.

About Leica, If you have to own just ONE M body, what model would you prefer? and

Leitz optics: which one would you recommend me to buy?

Thanks in advance,

Pat