That magic sound of the screw mount shutter firing!

pcg

I admit that I've neglected my IIIC recently for the M6 TTL. For a particular subject matter, I was

seeking that softer Summaron 35 3.5 look that we've lost w/ the new tack sharp M lens. So I

cranked through two rolls of Tri-X this afternoon in the late sun angle with the 60 year old Leitz

equipment. Wow, what a magic sound as the shutter fired. Completely different than the M3 or

the new M6. I was entralled all over again. There's definitely something magical about the screw

mounts. And I found I was falling into a more contemplative mode with the fussier IIIC. Slower

focusing, smaller RF, no meter, going back & forth from the RF window to the mounted

viewfinder. I loved it & found it very similar to shooting with the Hasselblad. The IIIC is not a

camera I'd take for rapid fire shooting, but it's a different zone & creates a wonderful sound that's

quite memorable. Anyone else have a similar reaction to their "antiques"?

I agree completely. My IIIf is in need of a CLA, and as such has slow

shutter speeds. But what does it matter? It's a nice step back from

all the digital shooting I usually do. I was at a

rave/dj/dance/skateboard/BMX event last night. My three cameras?

Canon D30, Leica Digilux 1, and the IIIf. I can virtually guarentee

that out of the 10,000+ people there, I was the only one with a screw

mount leica. In fact, I'd guess that there were only a handfull of

people there who would have known what one was.

I carried one of my IIICs into the Boston Museum of Fine Arts a couple months ago. No

problem taking photos there & lots of people tote cameras in. Before I got 10 feet into the

lobby, three guards approached me & I thought, Whoo-- But instead of slamming me, they

were all asking, "Man, what's that? How old is that thing? Does it still work?" I sort of brushed it all

off, explaining that it WAS old but still took pictures, shrugged & went on my way. Little did they

know its capabilities. I shot w/ a 35 summaron & a 50 elmar & got some great low light shoots

using Tri-X. Museums are interior places to do "street shots"--lots of people totally unconscious

of themselves, good interactions, interesting backgrounds...

I recently owned a IIIc which I traded in to the same dealer for a IIIf RDST. The shutter sounds from these two cameras are completely different. The IIIc shutter was noisy but at least it worked on all speeds. The IIIf shutter sound was completely different: much slicker and quieter ... but the 3 top speeds didn't work! It's currently in the hands of a local Jakarta technician who, I am assured, has experience of maintaining LTM cameras. If he wrecks it, I'll be mad.

Having no other experience of LTMs, I don't know which shutter noise was more typical. Or was there some important difference between the IIIc and IIIf RD that would make the IIIf quieter? I understand there were some improvements made to the IIIf, like ball races and shutter brake but I'm not sure if these would account for it.

• 9 months later...