focus". To be more specific, on my 28mm/2.8 elmarit the focusing ring says that

everything past 12ft should be at infinity focus. However, when I look through

the viewfinder and look at an object at 40ft away, the split-image in the

viewfinder is not mated in focus. I tried this with my M6, and now with a

brand-new MP with the same result. I also tried this with a 50/1 noctilux and

found the same to be true of objects lying over 30ft from the camera. Any

assistance on the subject would give me some more focusing confidence. Thanks

in advance.

Excuse me if I am not explaining myself correctly. I am going to take a picture of a tree that is 50 yards away from the camera. The ghost image displayed in the viewfinder does not indicate that the tree is in focus when the focusing ring is set at infinity. This would lead me to think that either the rangefinder isn't displaying the ghost image properly or the lenses I use don't have accurate footage counters.

I work in the film industry where you use a measuring tape to check the distance of a subject for accurate focus. If the distance from the camera to the subject is 8ft, then you can be sure that if you set the lens of a video camera to 8ft then the subject will be in focus. My concern is that if my tree at 50 yards needs the focus ring backed off from infinity, then how far off are my focusing distances for closer subjects?

I think what Jerry was trying to say succintly was a rangefinder is not a SLR...

What you see through the RF window is not what the film through the lens "sees". There is no DEPTH OF FIELD PREVIEW.

Trust the lens settings and guides - waste the picture and see if the final results agree with your view of the view of the lens.

Ciao

Ravi

According the J. Frank Dobie story the treasure was buried where two parallel lines met. The treasure hunters went for miles and miles along parallel lines and finalyl had to bend one of the lines in order to find the crossing point, and thus their frustration. The Leica RF doesn't project parallel lines -- one is bent to begin with. Projecting parallel lines on a spherical surface is a contradiction in terms, so! - - - Aw, the hell with it! ( :~ [