Christmas in Florida this year.

adrian_stone1

My wife and I are having a week in Florida this year over Christmas. We'd

like some advice regarding good locations for us as we don't know the patch.

We take landscapes, both panoramic and close up, and some wildlife. We'd be

happy to take street scenes of traditional communities, i.e older towns rather

than places specifically for senior citizens or areas heaving in tourists and

children- Orlando doesn't appeal. We prefer to make our own way (hire car)

rather than be part of an organised event. We've enjoyed both national and

state parks in the Southwest USA. We're OK at getting up early for dawn shots.

Any suggestions? Your comments would be really helpful.

Adrian Stone

Adrian -

I'm originally from Jacksonville. Unfortunately, Florida is not all that exciting as a photographic subject - there has been too much development, too quickly done, and the result is a melange of kitsch punctuated by fast food restaurants. The epicenter of this is Orlando, but it affects much of the state.

There are a few exceptions. Some of the old fortifications are very interesting - Castilio de San Marco in St. Augustine is the best preserved, but Ft. Clinch in Fernandina Beach is also nice. The Everglades are interesting if you don't mind heat, humidity, insects, snakes, etc. It's been many years since I've been there, but some of the more remote areas like Key West and Tarpon Springs used to be very interesting.

In the Tampa area there is Yebor City, which has a number of old stuff in the streets. The 'new' Sunshine Skyway bridge and the St. Petersburg area (on the Gulf of Mexico) have some good bird viewing areas. And to the south, is Sarasota, with a mixture of Ringling art and beaches.

Sunrise images are good on the east coast, but decent sunsets are better on the Gulf of Mexico (west coast.)

Florida is quite a large state, spanning two time zones. Which part will you be in? It's quite possible to start at one end of the state, drive flat-out all day, and still be in Florida at nightfall.

<p>

I lived in South Florida for many years, and unless you want to photograph condos and Canadians, I'd recommend avoiding most of that area. There are some interesting things to be found in the south, but you have to look for them. If you do go down there, you could try Everglades National Park, especially the Shark Valley unit, off US41. It's a 15 mile long paved trail that goes out to an observation tower, and you can take the tram or rent bicycles at the entrance. I've been several times in late November and saw plenty of birds, alligators, turtles, etc. And, that time of year, there should be no problem with bugs. You could also head west on the same road and take a National Park boat ride out of Everglades City.

<p>

I'd avoid the Naples area, though. Twenty-five years ago it was a sleepy little town, but no longer. When I drove through there a couple of years ago, I could not believe how much that area had grown.

<p>

Personally, I find the area north of Orlando to be much more interesting than the southern part of the state. There are many small towns in the Ocala and Gainesville area (my mother lives in one) that may be what you are looking for. The whole Ocala National Forest area is quite nice. Lots of horse ranches and, believe it or not, rolling hills are in that area.

<p>

St. Augustine has some interesting old architecture, although I haven't been there in years and don't know that area may have changed. I also liked Canaveral National Seashore, south of Daytona, for unspoiled beaches.

<p>

But really, it's a large state with a lot of variety, and these are just a few suggestions. If you want to research the state parks, you could start here:

<a href='http://www.floridastateparks.org/default.cfm'>www.floridastateparks.org</a>

<p>

I've also seen some books on Amazon.com (USA) site that I have considered buying one of these days:

<ul>

<li>Visiting Small Town Florida (Bruce Hunt)</li>

<li>Best Backroads of Florida: The Heartland, Vol. 1 (Douglas Waitley)</li>

<li>Best Backroads of Florida Coasts,Glades,and Groves Vol. 2 (Douglas Waitley)</li>

</ul>

I gather you are in the UK (?), but maybe you can order them from there.

Hope some of this helps.

I looked at your profile, but couldn't find where you live. Since an earlier poster meantioned the UK, I'll go with that. I apologize if my assumption is incorrect.

I live in Tampa, which is located on the west coast of Florida. If you were to look at a map, Florida has a big hump on the left side in the middle. Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota, etc. are on that hump.

Florida is about the same size as England, give or take. Not quite as large as the entire UK, but nearly. You really must decide on which area you want to visit. Of course, travel in Florida is easy but there is nothing terribly interesting along the highway.

Florida is not the Landscape experience you may be looking for. However, there are many things that make Florida very exciting. If you prefer wildlife then this is the place for birds of all sorts year round. Alligators abound from Orlando south. If tropical marsh is your cup of tea, south Florida is the place.

If you care for nightlife and uniquely American things, then Miami's South Beach is a place all its own. Orlando is a photographic waste of time and film. Buy a postcard of Disneyworld and you'll only be out fifty cents.

St. Augustine is beautiful. The Panhandle offers gorgeous photos of the ocean with sunsets over the water.

If you know specifically where you'd like to visit there will be no end to the great advice and ideas you will receive.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. Yes, we will be visiting Florida from the UK. I've accepted your advice to concentrate on one area and so we have decided to stay in the Miami area, possibly South Beach. That will give us acess to the everglades, other nearby communities, the Keys if we feel like it. It will also give us all the options within Miami itself, including shopping (Pitman Photo seems to be the photographic choice).

There are already some suggestions on the travel forum re. day trips from Miami, but anything else you can tell me would be great; ideal locations in December, times of day to photograph etc, and anything else that would help our holiday, would be absolutely magic.

Isn't the Internet a wonderful thing?

Regards

Adrian

P.S If anyone needs any advice re. Cuba, New Zealand or the UK, please let me know and I'll get in touch with you directly.

I was stationed in Cuba for two years in the early '90s. My dream is to go back and see the other side of the fenceline. In my whole time there it was impossible to leave the Guantanamo Naval Base to venture into the country.

I pray for the best possible outcome in Cuba. My prediction is that if Cuba were to open up completely it's quite possible Hawaii would go out of business. (yes, that's an exageration.) Still, in my time there I made probably 300 dives. I have scuba dived all over the world and nothing has really come close to southern Cuba in my personal opinion. The Naval Station was like living on the moon and to this day I dream of seeing the rest of the nation.

If current events carry forward along the same path I would very much like to take you up on your offer of advice.

Welcome to Florida. I believe you have made the best possible choice in destinations by going to Miami / South Beach.

Hello John

Cuba is a wonderful if rather chaotic country. Photographically it is quite wonderful. Forget the usual cliches of old American cars and cigar smoking senior citizens in Che Guevara berets. The countryside is stunning and the people are great. What I've seen of the tropical fish in crystal clear waters, the diving must be wonderful. It's the only place I've been where I have taken good photos through the surface of the water with a polarising filter.

My wife is a US citizen and she encountered no problems during her stay in Cuba, nor on her next visit to the US. I understand you cannot fly direct, you need to change, perhaps in Mexico.

In the UK we can a series of travel guides called The Lonely Planet. I've found them accurate and really helpful.

I hope you realise your dream.

Regards

Adrian

I live in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale area), so here are my recommendations for day trips if you plan to stay in the Miami area:

1) Everglades National Park is a very worthwhile venue. Take the Florida Turnpike south and try to arrive at the park as early as possible in the morning when many of the birds are still on their perches. The rangers at the entrance station/museum can advise you as to where to go for the best vantage points. Plan to go all the way to Flamingo at the southern terminus of the park road. There is a decent restaurant there and some great views of waterscapes and rare birds such as white pelicans, eagles, and others.

2) Do the touristy thing and take an airboat ride. There are many such vendors along U.S. 41 west beyond Krome Avenue. It is extremely noisy, so use hearing protectors, but it is fun in an "only if Florida" kind of way. Usually there is an alligator wrestling attraction associated with these rides, and they can be amusing to watch.

3) As to South Beach, they have their own kind of animals to watch, and they come in every stripe. Caveat emptor.

The weather in late December is usually dry and breezy with mild daytime temperatures and surprisingly cool evening temperatures. Lots of sun, as you would expect, but do bring a light jacket and/or sweater to be comfortable when appropriate.

Have a great trip!

Mike

Hell Mike.

Thanks very much for your advice re. our holiday in the Miami area. It's great to hear from someone living in the patch, I'm starting to anticipate our holiday already. The Everglades is a must, your suggested route is really helpful.

The airboat - I'm uncertain. I like mechanical things (cameras, bicycles, motorbikes) but somehow the lack of respect for the flora and fauna gets to me. I may change my mind when I get there. Years ago my wife visited Florida and saw Manatees who were under threat from propellor blades. Britain is no better at living alongside nature.

South Miami sounds a bit like Venice Beach - do visit, but with a little caution. I am sometimes tempted towards being intrusive with a camera, but my wife will keep me out of trouble. Is it advisable to stay in a hotel on South Beach?

Thanks again

Adrian

Adrian,<p>

Hotels on South Beach can be pricey - in fact, at the time you're coming, EVERYWHERE will be pricey, as it's the height of the season. However, you'll be at the heart of things, and within striking distance of the Keys and the Everglades.<p>

Miami (an entirely seperate entity from Miami Beach) has it's interesting features too, from Little Havana (the area around 8th street populated by Cuban immigrants) to Viscaya (a Romanesque villa dating from circa 1910 built by a chap called Deering), Coconut Grove (great marina, shopping, restaurants and wildlife of the human variety), and Coral Gables, a city within the city, and full of classic Mediterranean/Spanish architecture.<p>

You won't be short of things to do and see, and put the camera down occasionally and enjoy the scenery.<p>

BTW, I'm an ex-pat Brit, and my wife's American too. Hope you enjoy the trip.

Hi Adrian,

In addition to what has previously been mentioned, South Beach has hoards of restored art deco hotels & other buildings. There is a large Cuban population in the Miami area so you should be able to make traditional community photos in their neighborhoods. (not even mentioning the wonderful foods found there. :-) ).

I would definitely spend some time in the Keys. My brother lived there for many years and I loved visiting him. The DRC (Dolphin Research Centre) is in Marathon, and you can make plenty of dolphin photos there.

If you are a Humphrey Bogart or Katherine Hepburn fan, The African Queen (the boat from the movie) is in Key Largo.

Key West is a world of its own. There are periodic referendums for it to secede from the US. At sunset there are all kinds of strange things going on at Mallory Square. From Key West you can take a day trip to the Dry Tortugas - Ft. Jefferson is the central feature of this National Park, but there are a lot of birds and marine life. You can see Ernest Hemmingway's home in Key West.

Are you interested at all in scuba diving or snorkling? There are many excursions from the Keys for those. Lots of the wildlife in that part of the country is underwater. With the reefs just offshore, it's a wonderful opportunity.

And speaking of wildlife, if you are driving through the Keys, watch out for the Key deer in the Big Pine and No Name Key areas. Because of illeagal feeding you will often see them in the roadways there. Many Key deer are killed by autos every year. The National Key Deer Refuge is headquartered on Big Pine Key. The population is estimated to be between 700-800. Approximately 600 of those live on the two Keys mentioned. The rest are further south and on backcountry islands.

Also on Big Pine Key is the Blue Hole. It is an old quarry now filled with water and an array of wildlife. There are also a couple of nature trails. One of those is wheelchair accessible.

I should mention that the further into the Keys you get, the more people there are who operate on "island time". This does not correspond with your watch. A sign might say a store is open 9-5, but island time is VERY flexible. So be prepared to be laid back and go with the flow.

Have a great week visiting south Florida.

Becky

• 2 weeks later...