Are Sigma Flashes really this bad?

I use a Sigma Ef-500 DG Super flash with my 20D and I posted a question in another

forum asking event/wedding photogs basically how they shot with their flash. I got a

couple of replies like the one I pasted below saying the Sigma flash is inherently

inconsistent. My biggest problem is just that my results are inconsistent when using the

flash in situations where things are constanly changing. This may be a result of my

inexperience with Canon flash photography. I don't know yet.

Input from Sigma flash users appreciated.

Thanks.

------- THIS IS THE REPLY FROM THE USER ON ANOTHER POST-----

When I read your message.....I truly felt for you....I've been there.

I was a long time user of Sigma gear and was able to make some great photos with the

gear. My shop is now using all Canon gear however....and we couldn't be happier. The

reason for the change was quite simple the Sigma gear, particularly the flashes are just

plain inconsistent. Even when working in manual mode and carefully halving or doubling

output for half or double the distance we were constantly adjusting exposures.

I hate bad mouthing gear but I also hate to see photogs working harder to make up for

their gear.

Listen to these others mentioning the 580EX.....it works as it is supposed to.

Just my humble opinion,

Hard to get any system to work in constantly changing conditions, especially if you are not

familiar with it yet.

I'd take some time and really play with the equipment. Push yourself, see what it does,

when and then try to figure out why. It might be the flash is inconsistant - somehow I

doubt it is really that bad though.

Forums are great. Recomendations are great. But take everything with a grain of salt.

I had terrible problems with the EF500 DG with inconsistent exposure - even in manual mode. Sent it in for repair. Came back working just as before. Sent it in again and explained VERY clearly what was happening. Came back working very well and they sent back a different flash body.

Do some tests under controlled situations. Fire 5-6 shots in a row (allowing a full recharge) and see if you have variation. If so, I'd send it in for repair.