photography. This time my question is about Image Stabilization. I am not sure

if this feature comes with DSLR and also associated D-Lenses. If there will

not be an IS feature in DSLRs or lenses, what would be the substitute

comparing to the SLR-Like cameras? I found out that also there are categories

of Image Stabilization like the [shift-type] which is mentioned in the Canon

PowerShot S2 IS. If I want to know that for example Canon EOS 350D has an IS

feature or not? And what about all related Sigma or Canon lenses with the IS

feature?

Hi Eyad, Image Stabilization can be implemented *either* in the lens *or* the camera. In the case of Canon's DSLRs the bodies do not have Image Stabilization but many of Canon's lenses made for those bodies do. I believe this is the case with the EOS 350D so that means you'd need to buy IS lenses to obtain that feature.

Now in some of Canon's "consumer" digital cameras, I believe the image stabilization may be implemented in the body.

Minolta (recently bought out by Sony) cleverly implemented Image Stabilization in their DSLR bodies - that's a great advantage because you can mount any compatible lens and achieve some degree of stabilization.

There seems to be some debate as to which type stabilizes better; some say IS is best implemented in the lenses (like Canon and Nikon do with their SLRs and DSLRs with IS and/or VR lenses) and some say that the cost-benefit of implementing IS in the body (like Minolta/Sony) is better. I personally could not tell you which is better.

There's little incentive (I think) for Canon or Nikon to begin following the Minolta/Sony lead and implement IS in their SLR and DSLR bodies because they sell - at a premium - Image Stabilized (or Vibration Reduction) lenses.

I think Sigma just recently began introducing their version of an Image Stabilized lens - I know of one; they may have another by now. But they don't have nearly the selection that Canon or Nikon does.

Canon started implementing IS years ago in the film era, when moving the film around was not feasible, so lens-based IS was the only alternative. Currently there are ~15 Canon lenses with IS built-in. Being well invested in optical IS in lenses, their marketing naturally emphasises the advantages of lens IS over sensor IS. However there's no reason they can't have stabilization in both the lens and body, and if competition from stabilized DSLR bodies (Sony/Minolta, Pentax) heats up, they may choose to have both. I wouldn't expect that in the near future though.

Do not know which is best for image, but I think that lens stabilisation si beter for the company. Because only one third party lens maker made an IS/OS/VR lens and it made only one lens it's the Sigma 80-400.

If I can get a Canon body with IS on the sensor maybe I will get more big lens from third party, Maybe I have buy the 300-800 insteed of the 500 f4 !

Im not sure that image stabilisation in both the camera body (sensor) and the lense at the same time would be a good idea.

As the lense and camera body are fixed together, both IS systems would detect the same vibration/movement and then try to correct for it. You would then get an over correction. You would always get blurry images. Maybe im missing something.

Steve H

>> Image Stabilization can be implemented *either* in the lens *or* the camera.

I am not at all convinced that it is technically impossible to have both and that both systems will be able to communicate with each other. Just because it hasn't been done before, it doesn't mean it can not be done in the future. Whether marketing people will approve this is of course an entirely different question.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Someone commented on another photography forum (and I cannot vouch for the accuracy of their comment) that high-end Olympus digital cameras (such as the professional body, the E-1) have their IS in the body. (Again, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this.)

With Canon equipment, it's in the lenses - for now. Future developments are merely conjecture.